farmOS.org Redesign

Ok, so I think I’m going to chunk out these first two milestones listed above as a work proposal in a separate topic (per the process I outlined in Community Governance).

I will try to limit the scope of that proposal to the MVP of the Gatsby site and pulling in the 2.x docs (using the farmOS/farmOS#2.x branch as source) as a proof-of-concept that the gatsby-source-git plugin works as intended.

Meanwhile, should we continue the discussion here of how to migrate hosting, arrange repos, move project documentation into those projects’ corresponding repos, etc?

Some specific questions to ponder:

• Should we aim to point docs.farmos.org at the proposed Gatsby site once its stable, so we can start using that for all 2.x docs prior to the rebranding?
  • Do we want to keep using the docs.farmos.org subdomain once the rebranding is complete, or use a a more centralized subdirectory structure, since we’ll no longer be limited by what we can do with GH Pages? (I think I favor the latter option)
  • How do we want to orchestrate moving docs for the Aggregator and Field Kit into their respective repos, similar to how @mstenta has done for the farmOS docs?
  • At what point do we want to move the User Guide into a separate repo? (plus lots of other related considerations around the maintenance of that repo)

Those seem like the most pressing concerns, assuming we’d still like to coordinate the redesign with the launch of 2.x-beta or 2.0 proper. We can also discuss the blog and other community content if someone wants to take ownership of that.

1 Like