Work Proposal: Support for community content on farmos.org

MRS, I love it! And thanks, Walt, appreciate the feedback. :relaxed:

I say, let’s put some collective moneys where our collective mouths are!

:money_mouth_face:

This brings us back to @mstenta’s original 4 post ideas, from First blog posts brainstorm (dev call 2022-06-09):

No. 1 was intended to be a volunteer project by the core team, so I expect as a group effort it will move rather slow (unless there’s a near-ready draft floating around I don’t know about?). That’s fine though, b/c it’s kinda intended to link to the other articles anyways, and that just gives more time for those to be developed.

The last three, however, I think are prime candidates for posting some kind of bounty in the Jobs Board category. Especially No. 2, which I might give a provisional click-baity title of “3 Ways to Get Started with farmOS that John Deere Doesn’t Want You to Know!” I think it’s pretty straight-forward, and can lean heavily on existing docs, especially w/r/t the last option (self-hosting). So maybe $75 or $85 USD for a 1000-1500 word article? Then we can see how that goes, and decide if it makes sense to fund any of the others that way?

And I think the most important thing here is not to treat any of these articles (or the $'s funding them) as something we “gotta get right the first time” or something altogether too precious. They don’t have to be the canonical reference point for anything, and will inevitably be superseded by more current and relevant posts as time goes by. That’s the whole rationale for this project, as far as I see it. And if we get people engaged and thinking about this stuff, while also throwing some bucks their way for the effort, that’s money well spent, even if it’s not exactly the written output we were aiming for.

Thoughts?

2 Likes