Changing Asset Type

Hi everyone,

I’ve just logged into my (self-hosted) farmOS and discovered to my dismay that I have entered a lot of plant assets in as land assets. The joys of late night farm admin.

So I’m wondering if there is a way to simply modify the asset type and save me all the fiddly work of re-drawing the assets? Even if it’s got to be done thought the database rather than the user interface, it’d still save me a lot of work.

Many thanks

Spikey

1 Like

Check out this topic: Change Log Type

All the same challenges/workarounds for logs apply for assets too.

1 Like

@spikusmax In addition to reading through the link @Symbioquine referenced, you may also want to consider how you re-enter your Plant assets more generally. A Plant asset is typically not given an “implicit geometry”. Instead it is given a location via a movement log. For more information about how these things work, read the following links:

To see what this looks like in practice, enable the Planting Quick Form module and use it to create a Plant asset with a Seeding log. If you draw the geometries of your land assets ahead of time, and then reference one of them as the location of your seeding log, it will automatically copy the geometry of that land asset to the seeding log. Then, when your seeding log is marked as “done”, the plant asset will have the geometry of the land asset it was seeded into.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Many thanks @Symbioquine, I’ll check out the Python script solution.

@mstenta I didn’t think of using the seeding framework as I’m not tracking crops. I’m wanting to record the specific location and associated observations and maintenance of high-value trees on the property. Most of these I have not planted myself.

Moving forward I will be using FarmOS to manage a very small agro-forestry plot (a max of a few hundred trees). There will again will be a need to track trees individually to inform future pruning and thinning. I’ve not looked into the admin bit yet, but I’ll look more closely at the Seeding logs this week as the initial plantings are happening soon.

1 Like

Ah ok! In that case plant assets with intrinsic_geometry might make sense for you, especially if you don’t know when they were planted. If you do have any records of the planting date(s) though, then it might be helpful to use transplanting logs.

There are other topics on the forum about managing trees. You might find some useful ideas via search.

1 Like