Drone photo of field

I’m planning on some drone photos of my fields these days.
The fields have grain to be harvested quite soon. The photos will be useful to keep track of where the weeds are growing, and how they develop from year to year.

But I wonder where to put the photos.

Create an observation log to the field asset?
Or rather put it to the seed asset of that field/season?

Will a future crop planner or the fieldkit make one choice better?

2 Likes

I’d go with observation logs for the Field Asset, it would allow better for crop rotations. (You can also add files/pictures directly to the Asset, but if there is going to be annual shots then observation logs make sense.)

@Skipper I think has done some pretty cool stuff with adding drone photos of the farm to the map layers with different years available.

3 Likes

Yea, I’ve created a module that loads them as a map layer, and each month I get a new basemap I add it as the active layer, and switch off the previous month.
The imagery is georeferenced as a geoTIFF, so if you’ve just got images, I’d go observation log with it as just a photo, and tag in the area and the planting asset if you’ve got one

4 Likes

Observation log seems to be the best solution.
For now it’s just plain photos. But nice to know of the module in case I go selfhosting some time, or if it gets available at Farmier.

2 Likes

Mine is self hosted, as you need a way of hosting WMS files, but with the new (relativly…) cloud optimised geoTIFFs you may be able to get around this - I’ve not actually used COGs, but I should probably give them a spin to see how they work.
Other alternative is MapBox for WMS hosting.
But they need to be georeferenced for that. If you’re looking to do that WebODM is really good, and pretty cheap. (Free if you roll it yourself… But I went for the installer, because sometimes I like an easy life)
Mine is forked from GitHub - farmOS/farm_map_no: Norwegian mapping authority layers for farmOS maps.
It wouldn’t be a big stretch to fork it, and modify it to get a url from a settings field, so you can direct it anywhere on the fly - then you wouldn’t need to do a bunch of coding every time you need to update the map.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look at it.

2 Likes