Hosting FarmOS for Dummies

Hmm strange! So if you go to /assets/land you see them on the map, but not when you look at the dashboard? There are very few differences between those two maps, functionally speaking… so if /assets/land works but the dashboard doesn’t then it’s a real head scratcher!

The only difference I have seen which might make a difference is that in the list of land assets it does not seem to have anything in the location column. When you view the asset the location tab is selected but nothing appears in the column. I am assuming it should say something in that column. Is there any where I can install some demo data or manually change that column in the db ?

1 Like

@oliverp44 Would you like to hop into the farmOS chat at some point and try to debug this together? It might be easier/quicker to try things together.

I’ll be on/off over the next week with holidays and such, but feel free to ping me and if I’m around I’d be happy to help. :slight_smile:

Thanks - am around now if convenient

1 Like

sorry missed you earlier now back on

1 Like

FYI @oliverp44 and I debugged this in chat - it turned out to be a bug with farmOS 2.x when it is installed in a subdirectory (which is the case in @oliverp44’s instance). I will fix them. But there may be other things like this - we haven’t been testing 2.x in a subdirectory during development. So please let us know if you find more issues!

I am playing around using the 30 day free hosted trial offered by Farmier but ideally would like to host it myself. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing… and finding the installation instructions on the website is just a little beyond my basic server install knowledge which is a little rusty… is there a step by step guide for dummies (like) me ? Once I have worked out how to get it installed I will do a video for the novices like me and possibly how I get it all setup as think it will help others.

2 Likes

I have made some progress in learning about how to install FarmOS on my web servers hosted by Inmotion Hosting but have also gone backwards a couple steps on actually installing it…

When I tried to execute the Docker Pull Command on the cPanel terminal I got the error message :
docker: command not found

So I contacted inmotion support who were very responsive and polite but importunely even more unhelpful… as I got told “Docker is only compatible with our Dedicated hosting plans at this time. So unfortunately you wouldn’t be able to set this up on your shared account” see the full exchange below.

Chat started on 26 Mar 2023, 03:34 AM (GMT+0)
(03:34:05) Jason
Hi I am trying to install an open source web-based application for farm management. It is based on Drupal but is installed in total using a Docker image.

I have setup the subdomain ..com.au and now looking to use the terminal to execute the Docker command ‘docker pull farmos/farmos’ but having trouble as it appears docker is not recognised by inmotion server.

(03:34:53) *** Jeremy Sta. joined the chat ***
(03:35:05) Jeremy Sta.
Hello Jason, my name is Jeremy Sta. Thanks for contacting us today!
(03:35:11) Jason
hi Jeremy
(03:36:21) Jeremy Sta.
Docker is only compatible with our Dedicated hosting plans at this time. So unfortunately you wouldn’t be able to set this up on your shared account
(03:36:46) Jason
thats disappointing
(03:37:23) Jeremy Sta.
Docker requires a lot of permissions and setup to run and quite a bit of resources. More than what shared hosting is capable of. Hence the dedicated server requirement
(03:38:10) Jason
even if its a one off simply to install the web application ?
(03:38:47) Jeremy Sta.
unless that web app has an alternative installation that doesn’t require a software install to the server itself and doesn’t require any specific hardware or system specs you can set them up on shared hosting
(03:39:55) Jeremy Sta.
I do know that Digital Ocean has docker specific droplets
(03:40:04) Jeremy Sta.
and they arent overly expensive to start depending on what you need
(03:40:14) Jeremy Sta.
there’s a few service providers like that out there, Linode would be another
(03:40:25) Jeremy Sta.
off the top of my head those are the only 2 I know of
(03:40:33) Jason
thanks

So the question is, is there another simple way to extract FarmOS image in my root directory other than using Docker??

Thanks

Jason

1 Like

farmOS can also be installed from the packaged releases but it will take a bit more involved knowledge of PHP and web server environments than the Docker route.

Unless you’re feeling pretty adamant about going that route, I’d recommend either finding a server where you can run the docker install, or (probably better) going with the Farmier hosting to start with.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @JasonJoe!

If you are using a shared hosting environment, Docker probably isn’t an option for you. That’s why your host told you to switch to a dedicated environment.

We offer “packaged releases” for shared hosting environments, as @Symbioquine pointed out, which are just a tarball that can be unpacked in your webroot directory. There are tradeoffs to this approach. On the one hand: you can use it on shared hosting. On the other had: you need to make sure all the server dependencies are correct. The PHP version MUST be 8.0 or 8.1 (8.2 is not supported yet). See Installing farmOS | farmOS for a list of requirements, and note that these are in addition to Drupal’s requirements: https://drupal.org/docs/system-requirements

As for a step-by-step guide, we don’t have one specifically for farmOS, but because farmOS is built on Drupal, you can refer to guides designed for Drupal generally.

Here is one I just found: https://www.drupal.org/documentation/install/beginners

The main difference is that you will download the farmOS tarball, NOT the Drupal tarball (farmOS includes Drupal).

So where it says:

1. Using your web browser, navigate to http://drupal.org/project/drupal.
  2. Click the appropriate “tar.gz” or “zip” file link beside the version of Drupal you want to download.

… Instead, you should get the tarball from the farmOS GitHub releases page: Releases · farmOS/farmOS · GitHub

Hope that helps! Good luck!

I wrote up this install guide a while back but never finished the shared hosting writeup.

I ended up having PostgreSQL version issues with my shared host so never finished the writeup, but previously I had been using this technique to install and run farmOS with MySQL. It is baiscally the same instillation steps on a shard host with either database. It is a bit out dated with php versions so make sure you check the current requirements, but may help you in the correct direction.

2 Likes

@Symbioquine & @mstenta

Thanks for the pointers and help. I have managed to install it and have done a couple of basic test (adding assets & equipment) and all seems to be working, it really was quite simple to install from the Github packaged releselike many things not really hard just need to know a couple of things which more advanced users know but think everybody knows…

Just after I managed to install it,and it was fresh in my mind what I did, I went back and installed it again on another subdomain & database and this time made a screen recording of the steps which I will post on youtube in a couple weeks when I have time to put it together, hopefully it might help other noobs like me.

Now I am going to start to play around with the tools functionality, I am sure there will be more questions as I start to play around.

Next stop I need to learn Python so I can import my 85 cattle’s details.

Thanks again for the help and obviously all the work to develop the tool.

@JasonJoe

3 Likes

That’s great news!

You may have already seen it, but this post may be a good place to start: Introduction to Python Scripting with farmOS | farmOS

1 Like