It's My farmOS!

Update: Join Now via Zoom!

(link below - more details including call in number further down…)

Update: Earn the “It’s My farmOS 2020” Badge!

Join the call or comment on this post to earn the badge! https://farmos.discourse.group/badges/110/its-my-farmos-2020

In the spirit of “It’s My Park” days that take place in city parks across the U.S., we’re announcing the first “It’s My farmOS!” day, where community members get the chance to chip in and help us improve farmOS. There are lots of ways that folks can contribute, even if they’re not programmers, from posting written or video tutorials to reporting bugs, from writing documentation to fixing up the farmOS.org website. It’s also just a great chance to meet other people using farmOS, share advice and workflows, and generally have a bit of fun.

We’re scheduling it for Sat, Feb 29 (leap day), because we figured it’s an extra day anyways, why not spend it giving back to the community? We’ll host a live stream that anyone can join from any part of the world, starting at 10am EST (3pm GMT) and lasting until 4pm EST (9pm GMT) or whenever we decide to sign off. Feel free to drop in for as much or as little as you like!

Throughout the day we can talk about issues that matter most to our community, discuss new projects on the horizon and the general future of farmOS. It will be mostly free-form, similar to one of our Monthly Community Calls, but with one crucial exception: prizes!

So join us if you’re able; we hope to see you there!

:seedling:

Update: Proposed Tasks

We thought it might be a good idea to post some ideas for volunteer tasks that anyone can pick up and run with:

NB: I’ve made this post a wiki so anyone can feel free to add to it!

Update: Live Stream Invite

Topic: It’s My farmOS Day!
Time: Feb 29, 2020 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 306 601 951

One tap mobile
+16465588656,306601951# US (New York)
+16699009128,306601951# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 306 601 951
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acX9nzbO6

8 Likes

Do you use the same Zoom session as provided on Monthly Call ?

I created a iCal file that one can import in your calendar but it’s not allowed to upload in this forum :frowning:

1 Like

Good question, I think that would work. It would be nice to record, which I believe Zoom allows, but it’s occurred to me it might be a little easier with a Hangout/YouTube Stream—“easier” partly b/c it’s what I know, and partly b/c we don’t need to store the 6hrs of video on local disk, which I think is how you have to do it with Zoom (@mstenta is that right?).

1 Like

Hm, possible to share a link maybe? If not, that’s a good idea, perhaps a Google Calendar invite would work.

1 Like

Do you use the same Zoom session as provided on Monthly Call ?

It might be better to create a dedicated Zoom link for this, separate from the monthly call link. I can do that if we decide that’s what we want to do.

partly b/c we don’t need to store the 6hrs of video on local disk, which I think is how you have to do it with Zoom (@mstenta is that right?).

I think that’s right.

it might be a little easier with a Hangout/YouTube Stream—“easier” partly b/c it’s what I know

Is this still possible? I know you used to be able to do “Hangouts On Air” which automatically became YouTube videos (this is how we recorded some of the early monthly calls), but that is no longer possible.

I don’t really think this needs to be recorded, honestly, but I’m not opposed either.

I think it’s still possible, but thinking more about it now, probably not necessary.

1 Like

Someone could look into integrating this into farmOS.org: Using farmOS to track rotational grazing

Suggestion from a new user: provide a list of all the services that require logins (GitHub, Matrix.org, this Forum) and descriptions of what they are used for in the community. See Is it possible to plant multiple beds at once?

Thanks @mstenta, added it to the list above!

1 Like

/me wants badge : gimme gimme! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some little additions for today:

And a pull/push, whatever direction it is going… request on the farm_eggs quick form to add in a date function:

And updated the FarmOS projects page to include both my weight quick form and my combined area units module that adds imperial and metric area measurements to map popups.

2 Likes

Thanks @Skipper - that’s awesome!

Also want to cross-post this from @walt: Blogging on farmOS.org

And this from @iu_tech_researcher: https://github.com/farmOS/farmOS-aggregator/pull/76

I spent some time experimenting with offline storage of map tiles: https://github.com/farmOS/farmOS-map/issues/20

I know @jgaehring got started on the farmOS.org Gatsby.js conversion: https://github.com/farmOS/farmOS.org/issues/76

What else? Feel free to post what you worked on! Super fun to chat and work with all of you! Thanks again everyone for joining! And @jgaehring for organizing!

If anyone didn’t get the “It’s My farmOS 2020” Badge and wants it, let me know!

1 Like