QR Codes to logs/records - advice on tracking changes

Morning
Hope you’re all having a good christmas in the cold regions. We are boiling over here.

I have been playing around with labels on my seedlings and plants for a while, because it’s simpler to see when/what/etc. This post almost ties in with my previous question about tracking/visualising data, and it might solve one of those problems.

However, I want to start using QR codes to track changes on FarmOS for plants/pots… What is the best way to handle this, if you’ve done anything like it?

If I link to a log, this obviously won’t work, and the page for a single log is not useful to track a plant or seedling, or tree. If I link to the record page for it, it is a somewhat static and cumbersome clicking around. My only idea is to link to the asset’s logs [ /asset/96/logs ]. It’s not easy to read, data sanitisation is off depending on how people title the logs, etc, but it will work.

Any other ideas or ways you use it? And if you don’t, let this post and a cheap thermal printer be an idea for your next splurge.

Have a good festive period, and thanks for making FarmOS awesome.
<3
Edit: I do it like this now.

2 Likes

I use qr-codes to create some logs with the help of Node-Red.
Some info here:
My Node-Red and FarmOS project - #34 by pat

The qr-code takes me to a http-endpoint node, where the url is parsed, and actions are taken.
I only create logs with this. But I bet there’s other useful cases too.

I also had Node-Red to create logs for me if I send email to a certain address, and mark it with the Review flag. Then I can add resources, other flags etc later.

3 Likes

That is quite nice. I am yet to try Node RED, and it will help a lot.
I have established a tag ID system (6 digits) for tagging and QR’ing plants and trees in the wild. I might steal your idea there on the email and location.
Thanks for the link. Value in information.

2 Likes

You’ll get addicted :slight_smile:

There’s quite a few posts about it here on the forum. @Farmer-Ed got me going, and he’s made som nodes to connect for farmOS.
So once you get going there are some working flows you can look at.

One thing I like very much is the possibility to create quite complex logs with just a tap on a button.

3 Likes