Skills For Computer Science intern to post on Job Forum

I have a relationship with a university and am in the process of lining up some CoOp’s and Internships currently. One of the positions I want to target is a computer science intern. While my CS intern will not be strictly dedicated to FarmOS, I plan on having them spend some time deploying an instance, as well as attempting to create custom modules. Not sure if they would get used or not, but I would like them to familiarize themselves intimately with FarmOS nonetheless

I know PHP language and the Drupal language are obviously important. Github and other CICD stuff important as well. as is general interaction with API’s. However, my entire background in computer science I was always a backend database, data warehouse and performance optimization; I dont really know web development or the web-app world all too well.

Thus - what are some good “nice to have” skills I could put on the job posting that would lend themselves well to a computer science intern who may have a relationship to developing and maintaining a FarmOS instance.

3 Likes

That’s great @mbillion !

Some additional skills that come to mind:

• Experience with IoT/Sensors
  • Python scripting
  • GIS (ArcGIS, QGIS, imagery, geo-spatial datasets, other general geo-spatial knowledge)
  • Javascript/frontend frameworks, specifically Vue.js for farmOS Field Kit
  • JS Maps (Openlayers, Leaflet) could contribute to farmOS-map
2 Likes

I would also add Docker to the list! That’s the easiest way to get up and running with a local farmOS instance: Docker - farmOS.org

(And depending on your timeline, you might want to consider starting on farmOS 2.x, which we are aiming to release this Spring: Getting started - farmOS 2.x Docs - this would be the forward-looking approach, but be aware that 2.x is not “ready for production” yet.)

2 Likes