Watering Activities

Something that I’m seeing that would be helpful is to have some sort of watering activity/schedule available.

Now, I’m on smaller sites and normally will be, and this one in particular is in the establishment phase, so it might be a limited use case and potentially not worth considering as a feature.

It would be helpful to be able to assign a bed something like this:

• From calendar date to calendar date (30 days, etc), create daily watering activity
  • After that, from calendar date to calendar date, create every other day watering task
  • Finally, set a maintenance watering task

These three could be set as separate activities, but I think the calendar range and recurring task idea in scheduling would be the key thing.

For this site I haven’t planted everything at once, different beds were created at different times, and filled over time, so the watering schedules have varied and I’ve found it a pain to try and keep track of when I should switch.

I would be interested in hearing how anyone else has tackled this, if they’ve had the issue.

1 Like

Great ideas @JamesM!

We have an open feature request for the “recurring tasks” idea here: https://www.drupal.org/project/farm/issues/2962368

I could also see a dedicated “Irrigation Plan” type, potentially. That could be more dedicated/customized for irrigation specifically. Moreso than just a general recurring tasks plan that’s described in that issue.

There has also been talk of creating a new “Irrigation” log type, specifically for watering/irrigation tasks, to make it more explicit. Right now I use “Input” logs for this, when I need to record that (which isn’t often in my case). That’s what I have recommended to others in the past.

Ok perfect, the recurring tasks or the plan type would be great. Input logs will work too, I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll do it that way for now.

I bookmarked the Drupal issue site too, so I’ll check there in the future before posting a request.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Found a way to achieve what I wanted to do with this. I use the Input log as you recommend and create a new activity that’s dated out to when I need to modify the watering amount. I create one of these events as soon as I plant something new.

This will basically do what I need it to do.

1 Like

Great idea. Irrigation/water demand or irrigation planner is ‘complex’ feature. Weather forecasts, soil moisture, crop growth stage. Would be interested to explore how we can hook our AI based services into FarmOS.

1 Like