Backup Update and Migrate site and database

hello,

Much THanks for the upgrade for 1.3!
I havnt upgrade yet

i have some issues before upgrading to solve:

1. can i just install the new FarmOS1.3 on a new server, and connect it to the old DataBase? will it restart the database?

2. for backup (before upgrading), I cant fined the Migrate module. do i need to install “Backup and Migrate” module for that?

3. im hosting FarmOs1.2 with AWS EC2 Ubuntu server , using amazon RDS MySQL database . I will want to migrate to a local system with Docker on Windows, with the new FarmOS1.3 (for dev). I need to migrate my database hosted online to the local one.
    I have many files/photos in my Logs and Assets, does these files are located at the MySQL database of Drupal? or its located at the Drupal file system on my server? same question about the taxonomy data (include files).

thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Ido

can i just install the new FarmOS1.3 on a new server, and connect it to the old DataBase? will it restart the database?

Yes, this should work. Just make sure you run the database updates from your new codebase via /update.php (the last step here: Updating farmOS | farmOS)

Also: BACKUP YOUR DATABASE FIRST! (always!) :slight_smile:

Apart from the database, you will also need to copy the sites directory from your old server to the new one, and modify your settings.php file to point to the new database.

for backup (before upgrading), I cant fined the Migrate module. do i need to install “Backup and Migrate” module for that?

You can backup the database using a normal MySQL/MariaDB database dump. Or, if you want something built-in, you can install the Drupal Backup & Migrate module, if you are familiar with how that works. But a normal db dump is all you need.

I have many files/photos in my Logs and Assets, does these files are located at the MySQL database of Drupal? or its located at the Drupal file system on my server? same question about the taxonomy data (include files).

Uploaded files are stored within the sites directory of your file system. So you need both the database and the files in order to migrate.

Hope that helps. Good luck and remember to make backups before you do anything! :slight_smile:

Also, once you make the switch, make sure you don’t run the OLD code if it is still connected to the database. It could cause configuration changes that break things.