Looking for farmOS 2.x Migration Testers!

Hi everyone and happy holidays! As many of you know, we’ve been hard at work on farmOS 2.x - the next major version - which brings a lot of improvements to the codebase, data model, API, and user interface. We’re very excited, and are aiming to tag a “beta” release this coming Spring, if all goes well. :slight_smile:

When it’s ready for release, the update process will involve “migrating” data from a version 1 database to a version 2 database. This will be an automated process. If you are hosting on Farmier it will happen automatically. If you are self-hosting then there will be instructions for installing 2.x, enabling the appropriate modules, connecting to your old database, and running the migration. The beauty of this is that your old 1.x database will not be touched in the process - it will only be read and copied from.

As with any large migration, we want to be sure that data goes from point A to B properly. This requires thorough testing. We are doing a lot of this testing ourselves, as we write the migration scripts, and we would like to enlist some interested parties to test with their data as well. The migration scripts are not terribly complicated, but we want to be sure there aren’t edge-cases we might miss.

We’re looking for folks who can spend some time going over their data with a fine-toothed comb - comparing their data in farmOS 1.x to 2.x side-by-side.

If you are interested in testing the 2.x migration on your own data, and you are hosting on Farmier, send me a private message and we can coordinate. If you are self-hosting, subscribe to this thread and I will post a link to instructions when they are ready.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Since I’ve just started to scratch the surface of what farmOS can do, I would like to test this migration.

My first reason for doing this is due to the fact that I am planning on starting a mushroom farm with a friend in the next couple of months and I noticed the Fungi module requires Drupal 9. I think this would be a great opportunity for me to learn more about the development process and see what is available in my target module. Are there any items/procedures/logs/inventory, etc that I can help with?

Who knows until I try?

:grin: :metal:

2 Likes

@shane_aldrich FWIW the farm_fungi module is actually a rename of the farm_mushroom module for farmOS 1.x - so you can start using that now! GitHub - farmOS/farm_mushroom: Provides features for managing mushroom production.

(Also, the farm_fungi module is not done for 2.x yet… see status of 2.x add-on modules here: https://www.drupal.org/project/farm/issues/3151247)

As for 2.x migration testing - if you have a 1.x database with data in it, I’d love to hear how the migration goes for you! There are instructions for setting up a local 2.x development environment here: Getting started - farmOS 2.x Docs - and the migration instructions are here: 1.x Migration - farmOS 2.x Docs

Or, if you’re just getting started and don’t have any data to test with, then it probably makes sense to just start using farmOS 1.x, and get ready to test/migrate a little later when we tag a beta release.

1 Like

@mstenta Thanks for this information!

Since I don’t have any real data yet, I’ll wait for the beta release and see how the migration goes from there.

Cheers! :beers:

1 Like

@mstenta
With alpha 2 now out and with over three years of data in our farmOS installation we are more than willing to help with migration tests.
I am a software developer (PHP, JavaScript and AWS) but unfortunately with zero knowledge of Drupal, so clear instructions are required for that. We are running the locally installed farmOS instance as a VM in a VMware vCenter-cluster. We use the capacity for hosting our CI/CO testing and other internal servers and have plenty of opportunities to spin up new servers and make snapshots.

Are the instructions in your post from Mar 17 up to date? (I guess I can adopt them to a VM and mysql database that we use instead?)
How to want the feedback?

2 Likes

Hi @mattias - great! And yes the links above are still up-to-date. The local environment setup instructions assume you will use Docker - but if you are comfortable setting up a Drupal/farmOS installation outside of Docker that will work too.

The migration instructions work with or without Docker. You need to use the Drush migrate commands to perform the migrations via the command line. This is included in vendor/bin/drush in the packaged release of farmOS.

farmOS 2.x works on MySQL/MariaDB/PostgreSQL/SQLite3 - so if you have MySQL already that should work! We’ve been using PostrgeSQL as the default database for all development, so you could also go that route if you want. But either should work.

As for feedback, anything and everything! We created this issue if you want to post comments/observations there: farmOS 2.x Alpha Feedback

The most important things to test right now is the actual migration mapping. We basically have logic that reads records from the old database and recreates them in the new database by mapping point A to point B (for each record and each field on each record). So we just want to make sure that all of those mappings are working correctly, and that no data is being lost/broken in the process. We’ve been doing lots of testing locally, but only with the datasets we have - so that’s why it’s important for others to test with their data and confirm that everything looks good post-migration.

Appreciate any amount of testing you can do!

We are on mysql so that will be what we’ll test on. I will be out sailing in the Baltic with limited Internet access for the coming week so no much will be happening until I get back home. With the amount of information we have stored in our installation we really want to be able to carry it forward to new releases, so help testing the migration part is at least 51% selfish :slight_smile:
Will be in touch!

1 Like