Equipment and Maintenance Fields

I have been looking for software to track farm equipment maintenance, fields, and activities. The first thing I looked into with FarmOS is equipment maintenance. There just doesn’t seem to be many equipment related fields that can be used. Most information has to just be entered into a notes text field. Am I missing something?
For instance, when entering equipment, there are no fields for purchase information (date, cost, etc.) When entering maintenance, there are no fields for hours/mileage, time, etc.
I feel like I’m missing something fundamental here. Can someone point me in the right direction? There just seems like there is a lot missing for such basic items.
Thanks.

4 Likes

Hi @DavidLCooperII - welcome to the farmOS community!

Great questions… I think a lot of the things you describe can be recorded in Logs.

purchase information (date, cost, etc.)

There is a “Purchase” log type that can be enabled, which allows you to record Purchase logs that reference assets. So you can create your Equipment asset, and then a Purchase log that has details about the purchase. The nice thing about this is you can have multiple Purchase logs, potentially. So if you wanted one for the initial purchase, and others for part purchases, that’s possible.

Purchase logs (as well as Sale logs) are provided by the “farmOS Ledger” module. If you are hosting on Farmier I can enable that for you. Let me know if you’d like that!

When entering maintenance, there are no fields for hours/mileage, time, etc.

You’re right - farmOS 1.x does not provide a great place for this information on Maintenance logs.

farmOS 2.x includes standard “Quantity measurements” on all log types, which can be used to record all kinds of things. farmOS 2.x is in development right now and we are about to tag the first “beta” release of it. If you’d like to try it out, let me know. In the meantime, a workaround might be to use an Activity or Observation log to record quantity measurements for the Equipment.

Generally speaking, if there is a community consensus around fields that should be added to Equipment assets, we can open feature requests for that! It’s also possible to develop custom modules that add any number of custom fields to records (this is much easier to do in farmOS 2.x than 1.x). So there is lots of flexibility depending on what kinds of data you want to keep track of.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes