Hierarchical function - watering "fruit-trees" (group of trees) instead of each single tree

Hi @Ramos - great question! Currently adding logs to a group does NOT show them on the individual group member records. But, this is something that I would like to see in the future. And it is something that is conceivable, without changing the data model as it stands now. It is mainly a display issue - so once we add that ability, it will automatically work with old data that you are entering now.

I’m not sure if we have a feature request open for this specifically yet. If you’d like to open a new one, we can start discussing what it would take to implement.

Otherwise, yes, you would need to record the log in reference to the individual assets themselves. You can reference multiple assets in a log. Since you have less than a dozen trees that might actually be the better approach for you. If you had hundreds of trees then that would be less scalable.

Here is a tip for how to add these logs quickly: go to Assets > Groups and click on the name of the group you want. In the Group’s page, there will be a list at the top of “Group Members”. Click the top-most checkbox to “select all” and then click the “Add Log” button that appears at the bottom. This will give you the ability to quickly start a log that references all the assets individually.

btw: another question: is there a possibility to fix the location on the map when planting the tree (or do i have to ‘plant’ it and then move it via “transplanting” to record the place i´ve planted it?)

Yea it’s a bit confusing… “Planting” is the asset (noun) and “Transplanting” is the log (verb) - (I admit that “Planting” is a confusing name, and we are considering changing it to “Plants”)

So you need both. You need a “Planting” to represent the tree itself, and you need a “Transplanting” to define when/where that tree was put in the ground. This is how all “location” of things works in farmOS. See this page: Movements and location | farmOS

There is a “Planting Quick Form” that makes it easier to create both of those records in a single step. It is designed more for veggies, but would work for trees as well. However, the quick form can only be used to create new plantings, so it might not help you with your existing ones. But perhaps you can try it in the future.

Hope that helps!

1 Like