How can I remove a plant from a single location following multiple location seeding?

I am just getting ready for my first planting season with FarmOs using version 2.

I understand how to create a plant asset and move it to a number of multiple locations using the the seeding log.

In some instances one of those locations might fail or it may be an unharvested crop which I wish to simply destroy by cutting at the end of the growing season.

I cannot see how I can simply remove the planting from only one of the locations that it was originally seeded. If I make the original plant inactive it affects every location. What I would like to do is simply show that it was destroyed (not moved to another location like for a sale of the harvested crop) and no longer showing for that plant at that location.

Is this possible or would I need to create a seeding log for each location to be able to achieve this ? (although even if I do this I would want to make this plant be inactive for that location after it has been destroyed / removed).

If anyone has a solution for me on that it would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Oliver

1 Like

Good question @oliverp44 - I think the answer is basically: you need more granular records. :slight_smile:

If each plant will have different actions taken on it, in different places, then each plant should be represented as a separate asset, with its own seeding, inputs, harvests, activities, etc.

It’s best to think of assets as the smallest “management unit”. You can decide how to break things up based on how granular you need to be. If you have the same crop/variety planted in multiple places, and you know that they will always get the exact same treatment, then they can be one asset. But that is rarely the case. Each location will have different conditions, with different requirements, so even though it’s the same crop, it’s best to think of them as multiple assets.

You can also apply the same log to multiple assets - for example, if you apply an input to all fields, then you can have a single Input log that references all of the plant assets (and/or land assets that are affected).

Naturally, this means more assets, more logs, and more data entry in general. This is where it’s best to leverage the shortcuts that farmOS provides (and propose new ones!) where possible.

For example, in farmOS 2.0.0-beta2 (released last week) there is a “Planting Quick Form” module, which simplifies the process of creating Plant assets + their Seeding (and optionally Transplanting and Harvest) logs in a single step. So you may find that you use this form to create a Plant+Seeding for each field you are planting. Then, you can manage these assets together or separately as needed.

That’s the simplified explanation - but of course there are always more complicated scenarios to account for. farmOS tries to model things in a way that allows for all possibilities, so sometimes it’s just a matter of thinking through the best way to use it, OR propose/build new shortcuts/quick forms/etc to make things easier. So feel free to ask questions as they come to mind!

Hope that helps to frame things and get you going with your records! :slight_smile:

Thank you @mstenta - that makes sense.

I did have a pretty trouble free upgrade to the farmOS 2.0.0-beta2 as I saw you had added the planting quick form - I cannot see any where how you access it ! I have enabled the quickforms in the modules but not sure where to find the form - in the v1 there was a dedicated forms area I think ?

The only trouble I had in upgrading was I have now learnt that I need to retain the module farm_map_google as well as the sites folders and upload once I have unpacked the new tar package otherwise I get an error. As a novice, on upgrade I also change the name of the farmOS folder before unpacking the new tar package so that all the original files are still available if needed (I still back it up with the db as well before doing anything). Hopefully that might help other not particularly techy novices !

1 Like

I saw you had added the planting quick form - I cannot see any where how you access it

Ah yea sorry - the new quick form has a module of its own, so you will need to enable that. Go to Settings (in the top right), then Modules tab, and at the bottom is a new section for “Quick form modules”. You should see the Planting quick form there.

The only trouble I had in upgrading was I have now learnt that I need to retain the module farm_map_google as well as the sites folders and upload once I have unpacked the new tar package otherwise I get an error.

Oh yes! Always preserve your sites directory between upgrades (as described here, for packaged tarball releases (but similar for Docker): Updating farmOS | farmOS).

If you download modules as zip/tarballs, I recommend putting them in sites/all/modules, so that you can easily preserve them across updates as well.

Backing up all the files AND the database before attempting an upgrade is also very important! Better safe than sorry. :slight_smile:

In the setting Module Tab there is only Core Modules and Community Modules section - cannot see it as part of them ?

Within Administration / Extend / farmOS Quick Forms is ticked

1 Like

Try clearing you cache and see if it shows up in the Module tab.

Otherwise, it will also show in Administration > Extend as a module named “Planting Quick Form”.

Within Administration / Extend / farmOS Quick Forms is ticked

This is a bit misleading… the “farmOS Quick Forms” module is just a low-level module that provides supporting frameworks for quick forms - it does not add any quick forms itself. The “Planting Quick Form” module depends on “farmOS Quick Forms”.

FYI this can be done via Administration > Configuration > Development > Performance OR via drush cr if you have command line access.