Proactive FarmOS

Great questions @walt

@mstenta spoke of “using the new “plan” record type” ; where exactly is this to be found?

farmOS includes a module that provides a new type of record called a “Plan” (which adds a new “Plans” dropdown to the main menu after “Areas”, “Assets”, “Logs”, and “People”. This module is not enabled by default, because farmOS itself does not provide any plan types yet.

Right now, plan types are being built and experimented with in other add-on farmOS modules, like the Grazing module, the Nutrient Management module, and the Forest module. And as common functionality develops, I am pulling it into the core farmOS Plan modules to provide a framework for new plan types to be added in the future.

I hope to see a Crop Plan develop, which would provide the features that you describe for managing plantings and automatically populating seeding and transplanting dates based on past knowledge and the crops/varieties taxonomy. That doesn’t exist yet.

I’ve been working on the Forest module lately (with the US Forest Service), and it has been a great case-study to develop a lot of the underlying pieces that will be useful to a crop plan as well. So it’s all steps in the right direction. :slight_smile:

2 Likes