Where'd Location go?

The universal Location option seems to have disappeared from the menu system in the current version. Or tucked away. Somewhere. I do notice that it’s available at the asset level but it was (and it’d be) kinda nice to be able to look at the heirarchical tree for everything without havinig to go on a labyrinthe journey…

Like the one at farmurl/locations?
I like that tree view of assets too. Would be nice to have it on the dashbard. On the side of the map perhaps…

@debo I assume you mean the “Locations” link in the main toolbar menu on the left? Should be there! Nothing changed in farmOS’s latest release to remove it. Are you sure you have the farm_ui_location module enabled? That’s what provides it, and it should be enabled by default on a new install - unless you did something custom.

I like that tree view of assets too. Would be nice to have it on the dashbard. On the side of the map perhaps…

@pat Cool idea! There is some forward thinking about making the dashboard customizable via Drupal’s Layout Builder. This would allow “blocks” to be added/organized on the dashboard. Then we’d just need to put the location hierarchy in a block and voila! :slight_smile:

Relevant feature request: https://www.drupal.org/project/farm/issues/3238637

1 Like

Interesting indeed

1 Like

nothing custom. everything is straight vanilla - right out of the box. The only thing I see is FarmOS Locations in the Extend pane. No farm_ui_location
I’m assuming that since i’m able to see and use hierarchical tree listings in the individual asset windows the engine must be installed. No?

1 Like

Good point - yes. :slight_smile:

If you go to /locations directly in your browser do you see the page? (Maybe the menu link isn’t working but the page is?)

Or do you see an “Access denied” if you go there? That would prevent the menu item from showing. (Not sure why you would get access denied, but worth asking.)

Yes it is there @ /locations. was there once a Quick Forms menu item?

1 Like

If you have any Quick Forms enabled you should see a Quick Forms menu item, yes. Currently farmOS v2 only ships with one (“Planting quick form”) which you must enable first.

… was there once …

I’m trying to understand your experience/context a bit (to provide the best advice)… based on your other forum topic I thought you were installing for the first time, but this suggests that you’ve had a prior version to compare against, perhaps? Can I assume you are starting fresh or upgrading from a previous version? If you upgraded, did these issues start after the upgrade? And if so, what version were you using previously?

I started with a Farmier demo, migrated to a V1 install (which I have runnig in parallel), progressed to 2vbeta1 (deleted) and currently on beta2 runnng Drupal 9.3.3. I narrowed the previous problem down to a pilot and syntax error combo.

An aside - how do I turn off an experimental module I activated mistakenly? It’s activated and now doesn’t repsond to clicks to toggle it back off.

And yes, the problems appeared after upgrading…

Thanks for the details… but actually now I’m more confused… :smile:

These two statements seem to contradict each other:

progressed to 2vbeta1 (deleted) and currently on beta2

And yes, the problems appeared after upgrading…

The first statement suggests you are starting with a fresh beta2 installation. Therefore you did NOT upgrade from beta1. Is that correct, or am I misunderstanding?

Or when you say “upgrade” do you mean “migrating data from v1 to v2”?

Sorry to be pedantic - I just need to understand the specific situation to give the best advice.

If your menus broke during an upgrade from beta1 to beta2 that would mean something very different than an “upgrade” from v1 to v2 (v2 is a complete rewrite of farmOS on Drupal 9 - there is no way to “upgrade” a v1 instance… only “migrate” data from a v1 database to a v2 database… I often use “upgrade” interchangeably, but in order to better help you debug this particular issue I need to be more specific).

An aside - how do I turn off an experimental module I activated mistakenly? It’s activated and now doesn’t repsond to clicks to toggle it back off.

Go to /admin/modules/uninstall and you will be able to uninstall modules.

If your menus broke during an upgrade from beta1 to beta2 that would mean something very different than an “upgrade” from v1 to v2

The third scenario I meant to include is “menus don’t work in a fresh 2.0.0-beta2 install”.

Which of these is your scenario:

1. You installed 2.0.0-beta1, and then upgraded to 2.0.0-beta2, and the menu item(s) disappeared.
  2. You installed 2.0.0-beta1, then deleted it, then installed fresh on 2.0.0-beta2, and the menu item never appeared in the first place.
  3. … something else?

Door No 2. I guess replace would’ve been a better description. My bad. I hadn’t started populating. Wanted to kick the tires a bit before commiting to a data dump.

Is it possible to turn off an asset type that one isn’t currently using but will use in the future as opposed to deleting the module ?

Ok thanks - that helps. :slight_smile:

So that means you were starting with a fresh database and “the menu item never appeared in the first place” (correct?) - very odd indeed!

The menu item is created quite simply by this YML code: https://github.com/farmOS/farmOS/blob/2.x/modules/core/ui/location/farm_ui_location.links.menu.yml

That file is read when the cache is cleared (or when modules are installed/uninstalled), but is cached in between. It’s worth trying to clear your cache to see if that fixes it (via /admin/configuration/development/performance) - although I have a feeling something else is going on. :thinking:

Is it possible to turn off an asset type that one isn’t currently using but will use in the future as opposed to deleting the module ?

Each asset type is provided by a module, so you just need to “uninstall” the module via /admin/modules/uninstall. No need to delete code (if that’s what you meant).

admintoolbar
This is the toolbar as it currently appears to my browser. No Location

@debo You must have taken a different installation path than what is described in the official docs: Installing farmOS | farmOS

Based on the fact that you also have the Search module enabled (per your other post, and unless you intentionally installed that?) I’m not sure what’s going on - but it is definitely not default farmOS configuration.

It sounds like you installed some other Drupal installation profile - or something??

Please provide exact steps-by-step procedure you went through and I’m happy to point out where things went wrong if I can.

yes i installed the search module

In the other topic you said you did not enable the search module:

did you enable the Drupal core Search module?

this i did not. How does one do this?

then i guess the ssearch module i enabled is a drupal module and not a farmOS module then?

1 Like

We’ll figure this out @debo :slight_smile:

then i guess the ssearch module i enabled is a drupal module and not a farmOS module then?

farmOS modules are Drupal modules. farmOS is a Drupal “distribution”, which essentially means it is Drupal + the farmOS installation profile, which includes a bunch of farmOS-specific modules and configuration. But underneath all of that is Drupal. When you go to /admin/modules, that’s provided by Drupal, and includes ALL modules that Drupal core provides AND all modules that farmOS provides. It’s confusing, I know - but that’s how it works. :slight_smile:

All of the “farmOS modules” (that farmOS adds on top of Drupal) will appear in groups within /admin/modules like “farmOS”, “farmOS Assets”, “farmOS Logs”, “farmOS Defaults” etc.

Everything else is core Drupal stuff. I would not recommend enabling any modules outside of the “farmOS ___” groups, unless you know what you’re doing.

We actually provide an easier way to enable “trusted” farmOS modules. Instead of going to /admin/modules (provided by Drupal, and only visible because you are self-hosting), go to /farm/settings/modules. This page ONLY lists farmOS modules, which makes it a lot easier to see what farmOS includes. :slight_smile:

Since it sounds like you enabled some Drupal core modules, I can’t possibly help you unwind back to a “default” farmOS configuration (without spending a LOT of time with you teasing things apart and asking what you did).

The easiest thing to do is to wipe out everything and re-install from scratch. Then, if you want to experiment, make a database snapshot before you do so, so it’s easy to “roll back” your database to the state it was in before experimenting.

The most important takeaway here is that “farmOS is Drupal” which means it is extremely powerful, and also easy to break if you aren’t familiar with Drupal!

Hope that helps! :smile:

getting clearer…

1 Like