Editing Asset Navigation Menu

Hello everyone!

I’m just getting up and running with farmOS. FYI, I am not currently a farmer, but that is on the near horizon. That is why I’m trying this out as a self-hosted application on my personal computer.

I’ve gone through quite a bit of the administration aspect, and can’t seem to find where I can edit the asset navigation dropdown menu to reflect the assets I’ve added so far. Also, I won’t be tracking livestock, so I disabled the “Add Animal” menu link, yet it still shows up in the menu.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

1 Like

Check out Rough Edges with Custom Asset Types · Issue #274 · farmOS/farmOS · GitHub
And Unable to add custom asset records · Issue #262 · farmOS/farmOS · GitHub

1 Like

Hello and welcome @shane_aldrich !

It looks like the Asset menu might be hard-coded to include all of the asset types that are enabled (relevant code is right here: https://github.com/farmOS/farmOS/blob/7.x-1.x/modules/farm/farm_asset/farm_asset.module#L75)

If you’re adding custom asset types clearing the cache might kick things into gear too.

The “Add animal” link is actually a bit different, I believe that is the “Action Link” you see on the /farm/assets/animals page.

1 Like

Thank you for the links. I’ll read over them now.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

OK. I’ve gone through the links and played around a bit more. I was trying to update that menu through “Administration/Structure/Menus/Navigation”. After editing one of my asset links and changing the parent to “–Assets”, it shows up properly. I was then able to see how to access that menu in the future at “Administrarion/Structure/Menus/Farm”.

Hopefully, this will help other noobs.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @shane_aldrich !

I’ll just add two things to what @Symbioquine and @paul121 said above:

1. If you aren’t working with animals, you can turn off the “Farm Livestock” module entirely, and that will remove it from the menu. I would recommend that over messing with the “Admin > Structure > Menus” config (best to leave that default IMO - any changes to that will NOT be migrated into farmOS 2.x).

2. Adding custom asset types to farmOS is much easier in 2.x than in 1.x, FWIW. Here is the docs for that: Entities - farmOS 2.x Docs - If you’re just starting out and want to add custom types I might recommend waiting for that. You can begin playing around with 2.x now for custom module development, but I’d advise against using it with real data until the first “beta” release is tagged. In the meantime, use 1.x for real data.

1 Like

@mstenta I just tried to turn off the “Farm Livestock” module. However, it is grayed out and I am unable to turn it off.

I’ve added a few custom asset types, but there isn’t any real data in there yet.

So I think I’ll just start from scratch to see if I can turn off the “Farm Livestock” module during setup.

This whole process is a way for me to learn farmOS and prepare for the farm my business partner and I are starting in the next couple of months. If I can have the software set up properly before we begin, it will make the record-keeping and data entry much easier.

So far, I really like what’s happening here!

1 Like

That happens when the module is required by another one. My guess is the “Farm Livestock Weight” module is enabled, and that depends on “Farm Livestock”.

Also note: uninstalling is a two-step process: 1. Disable the module (in /admin/modules), 2. Uninstall the module (in /admin/modules/uninstall). In farmOS 2.x (Drupal 9) there is no “enabled/installed” distinction and you can only “uninstall” (which deletes any data from the database associated with that module).

1 Like

The weight module wasn’t on. So I ended up deleting the entire site from my localhost, unzipped the file to my “www” directory, and did a fresh install.

It only took 10 minutes. Super easy to accomplish.

Now I can start fresh and install the mushroom module.

:metal:

1 Like

Great! For future reference you can see what modules are depending on a module by clicking on the little arrow next to the module description to expand it.

1 Like