Wiki: farmOS Conventions
A collection of useful links and other information regarding farmOS Conventions.
General documentation & drafts
General information on what conventions are, how they are to be structured and used. As of Feb 2023, however, there is no “official” standard, strictly formalized specification, or governing body to determine what those are.
- “Conventions”, from the documentation on farmos.org, as a part of the farmOS Data Model.
- DRAFT: OpenTEAM Conventions Specification, from the OpenTEAM GitLab repository.
Published & proposed conventions
The conventions themselves, currently being proposed for eventual publication.
- (proposed) Repository for farmOS core conventions and template: GitHub - mstenta/farmOS-conventions
- (proposed) Roadmap: Roadmap · Issue #1 · mstenta/farmOS-conventions · GitHub
- (proposed) Convention template: farmOS-conventions/index.md at template · mstenta/farmOS-conventions · GitHub
- (proposed) Example “Soil test” core convention: farmOS-conventions/index.md at wip · mstenta/farmOS-conventions · GitHub
- (proposed) Example “Pasture Condition Score” community convention: farm_nrcs/index.md at 2.x-pcs · mstenta/farm_nrcs · GitHub
Much of the rationale behind farmOS conventions has been archived in public discussions here on the farmOS forum and in various git repositories. Many more topics can be found under the Conventions category here on the forum, but these threads should trace the main arch its development. They are organized in reverse chronological order according to their first posts, although they may all have more current and ongoing comments.
- 2022-06-07T04:00:00Z - Documenting conventions (PRIMARY FORUM TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION)
- 2021-08-31T04:00:00Z - Conventions as config entities
- 2021-03-04T05:00:00Z - Developing a Specification for Defining OpenTEAM Conventions (#70) · Issues · OpenTEAM / OpenTEAM Technology · GitLab
- 2020-11-18T05:00:00Z - farmOS Conventions notes · Wiki · our-sci / partners / Research Farm Roadmap · GitLab
- 2020-11-06T05:00:00Z - Creating a standard 'interpretation' layer on top of core farmOS schema
- 2020-05-19T04:00:00Z - How SurveyStack uses farmOS · Wiki · our-sci / partners / Research Farm Roadmap · GitLab
Conventions are also occasionally discussed in the farmOS Community Calls, held on the second Wednesday of each month. Specific proposals or inquiries can be added to the agenda for any upcoming call.