AgStack Weather API in alpha

Just got an email from the AgStack technical mailing list regarding their upcoming Weather API service. Sharing here because it could be something to experiment with soon!

Hello everyone,

We are excited to announce that #AgStack at The #linuxfoundation has released our first the LIVE GLOBAL service (currently in ALPHA - so no guarantees of accuracy or performance. We do NOT recommend you embed this into your production environments - yet) - the hourly weather forecast - available for any lat-lon, anywhere in the world. #climatechange is causing havoc in weather systems globally, and having a good hourly weather forecast is crucial for #agriculture on multiple use-cases, from planting to harvest. Our plans are to make this service more scale-able (no of concurrent users) and for a longer time period (currently only 24 hrs). We will also be automating this for our #assetregistry project where a user will be able to subscribe to this (and other) service with your asset “geoids”. Meanwhile, we welcome your feedback - especially constructive criticism. Enjoy (make sure to change the lat-lon for the location of your interest - it is available GLOBALLY). You can get the result in JSON by adding “&format=json” in the url at the tail end. Many thanks to all our maintainers.

In the coming weeks, we will be convenening on this topic and asking for changes/edits and suggestions (and of course more maintainers) from our community. We think this can be very useful for agriculture globally - in the age of climate change. We invite you to participate and push this topic enthusiastically!

Stay tuned!

Best,

Sumer

cc @sumerjohal @sumer.johal

Related topic: Weather forecast shown in dashboard?

2 Likes

Did they provide a link to the API @mstenta?

I’m currently using OpenWeatherMap for some simple automations, such as storm/frost warnings and shutting off night rate immersion heaters when bright days are forecast so I get the most out of solar hot water heating.

Could be interesting to see how AgStaks API will compare.

1 Like

@Farmer-Ed I’m not sure, but they host a technical workstream call every other Thursday at 11 am Eastern time via Zoom. The next one is this Thursday 9/22. I won’t be able to make it this week, but all are welcome to join it.

1 Like