Animal Asset Idea

I’m looking at farmOS with the mindset of a Diary Goat farmer. My operation is not a Dairy, but I raise a small herd of quality show Saanen Dairy goats. Each goat is an individual high value asset of its own.

While the Birth Log is nice to have, it would make sense to automate the creation of a birth log when an Animal Asset is added with a female parent animal asset. Create the birth log attached to the female animal asset parent.

2 Likes

@StuartP Ah maybe the Birth Quick Form would be of use! It was available for farmOS v1 but hasn’t been ported to v2 yet. Although I started on it in this branch: GitHub - mstenta/farmOS at 2.x-quick-birth

I’ve been sidelined by lots of other things so I haven’t had a chance to finish it.

It basically allows you to create your child assets AND birth log in one fell swoop.

1 Like

@StuartP I see you have decades of IT experience including Drupal webhosting, does that include any development? Creating your own modules could be an option and the maintainers and other users here have been a great help for me to get started. I come from a background in IT/Electronics with very little previous experience in software/web development.

An alternative to creating modules is the API. I do a lot of the automation of data entry for my instance of farmOS using the API and Node Red as it is a quick and relatively easy way to develop data entry forms, CSV tools and /or connect with other API’s. Much of what I build in Node Red is only a short term solution until I find time to commit to a farmOS module (or somebody else does). Of course there are many other tools and languages you could use to interact via API including 2 farmOS libraries for Python and JS.

1 Like

Decades. Yes.

Most of it with the ERP formerly known as Lawson, now Infor. A fair amount of DBA work with all manner of databases as well, and systems administration in various forms of unix (AIX, HPUX, Solaris, Red Hat … and my personal machines with Debian or Fedora, and now QubesOS).

I have little actual web programming experience though, with most of my programming experience being … cough cough … COBOL. The Infor product is just now getting away from the COBOL Lawson was written in 40 years ago.

I may be forced into the more modern languages before I actually get to retire (again), but it is what it is.

Stuart

2 Likes

Well @StuartP if you understand databases and programming logic then you are most of the way there already.
I worked as a hardware engineer for IBM for most of my career and my previous programing experience was with C/C#, with some Assembly and PLC Programming although never really a big part of my job either. The advantage of farmOS and Drupal in general is most of the frontend/GUI work is done for you already so creating your own custom modules, mostly requires the type of logical programming you are already familiar with (obviously some new syntax to learn).

1 Like