Recording Cow Service Date & Bull Details

Hi, I’m new to farmOS and just in the process of uploading our herd data. I am primarily looking to use farmOS to replace our obsolete farm management software to help organise our dairy herd’s records. An important feature for us would be the ability to record the sate of service of cows (either by one of our bulls or AI, which it also be good to keep a record of). I would then like this date to be treated in a similar way to seeding by which it would automate the due date 9 months later of that cow and create a log to track it. Is there a way of achieving this or has anyone else been able to find a work around?

3 Likes

Hey @HughAddison. I am very interested in doing this type of thing. I have been thinking over a “breeding plan” module and may have a developer later this year interested in working on it. Probably wont be started until mid summer though. Hopefully a module like this could track heat cycles, breeding dates, birthing dates, and harvest dates across species. If you have any feedback on what else could be included in this type of module I would be interested to know.

I’m the mean time I make a log at breeding time and a future log for anticipated birthing and use a spreadsheet for the advanced planning.

3 Likes

I’m new to this too,
But I plan on adding an observation log to the Animal Asset named service.
And hopefully create a python script to add a task “due calving” before the due date, maybe another task for “due scanning”.

Unless of course someone else provides a better solution here.

1 Like

That’s great! Thank you both, I look forward to the Breeding Module making an appearance. Another small thing. Is it possible to filter stock by birth date rather than searching for a specific date in the Animal Asset section?

1 Like

This would be a nice little feature request @HughAddison - we could turn that filter into a date-range, like we use for log date filtering…

1 Like

PS Welcome to the forum @HughAddison! :smile:

That’s great! How do I request features? I would really appreciate that feature

1 Like

@HughAddison good question! :slight_smile:

Since there have been a lot of new ideas and suggestions recently, I decided to write up a quick forum topic for reference: