Using farmos to record daily milk production for my dairy farm

hi everyone.any one who has effectively used farmos to keep milk production and feeds intake for his/her dairy farm.I would love to be guided on how to go about it.thankyou

3 Likes

Iā€™m not a Dairy farmer but probably plenty in common to Drystock too.

Do you receive any data back from the company that collects your milk? as a file or through API access?

Any other sources of data that you receive / collect from other sources?

Concentrates composition / feed rates.

Grass Measuring / Soil Testing / Fertilizer etc

Fertility / Breeding / Genomics

Medications

3 Likes

Hi Eddie.

We normally monthly cumulative no of kg for the milkā€¦

At the farm we record each cowā€™s daily output manually and we really wanted to digitize our daily records for the milk and feeds

4 Likes

How manually is manually? Pen and paper from manual milk meters?

Have you a working instance of farmOS yet? (There is a demo instance you can experiment with for 12 hours if not, https://farmos-demo.rootedsolutions.io/ )
Iā€™d say the simplest way to record in farmOS is Enter all your cows as ā€˜Animal Assetsā€™ and then create ā€˜Observation Logsā€™ for each milking the log can the reference the animal and record as many quantities as you like milk in Kgā€™s and cell counts etc.

For less simple, if you dabble in code a more interesting and dedicated Dairy module could be developed.

2 Likes

Just want to add that itā€™s possible to register for a trial at Farmier.net too.
Believe you can use it for 30 days, and then keep the data if you subscribe.

3 Likes

I agree with all this except that I would recommend ā€œHarvestā€ logs for milk instead of ā€œObservationsā€.

That is the convention that was used in the ā€œMilk quick formā€ in farmOS v1. Observations are more intended for ā€œpassiveā€ measurements.

3 Likes

Probably makes more senseā€¦
I donā€™t like the language though personally Iā€™d have to make a Dairy module if I was still milking cows.

3 Likes

In the early days of farmOS I contemplated (very briefly) calling them ā€œInputā€ logs and ā€œOutputā€ logs - to represent things that were brought into the system, and things that were taken out of the system. Everything else is ā€œinternalā€. Ultimately I think calling it ā€œHarvestā€ was more intuitive to most people. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Inputs is a term generally used by most farmers regardless of enterprise and is fairly intuitive, ā€œoutputā€ doesnā€™t have the same universal usage though but neither does ā€œharvestā€. Iā€™ve never heard of a livestock farmer using the term harvest to describe their ā€œoutputā€ in the form of eggs, milk or meat. Does there need to be only one output log type?

ā€œPlant based alternativeā€ terms may even be a little off putting for some livestock farmers! :grin:

2 Likes

I guess thereā€™s always going to be that tension between farmOS maintaining a super fine-grained model and making do with a more generic one that mostly fits.

Just spit-balling here, but I wonder if there should be a ā€œconventionsā€ functionality - letā€™s call it ā€œrecord type aliasingā€ - where the underlying data model is the same, but the presentation/verbiage is ā€œskinnedā€ to match the use-case more closely. Kind of similar to Quick Forms, except that it would affect the asset/log display as well as the creation/edit form, and wouldnā€™t allow arbitrary form structures.

In that way, you could use the data model for the Harvest log type, but for a Cow Milking log, ā€œaliasā€ the Assets: field to Cows:.

2 Likes