Docker Hosting - Simplification Suggestion

Anyway we could package that up 2 ways on the docker site to help quickly spread self hosting.

2 docker compose ymls onto the docker site for quick setup. Also for newer people include info about mariadb and external connections for running docker behind a reverse proxy. Maybe update to 3.0 or 3.7 for compose version.

1. for self hosting like you have but pre bundled and then add customizations like ports that carry through to the web server? Basically update info to multiple prepackaged for faster starting for newer people. Kind of like how the media types are doing it to quickly spin up containers.
2 Likes

Anything we can do to improve the self-hosting experience is a good thing in my book! :+1:

I might suggest waiting until farmOS 2.0 is released before making any big changes/recommendations, though. It has some differences - including recommending PostgreSQL instead of MariaDB (although MariaDB will still work too, as well as SQLite3). But we may also add more support for PostGIS in the future, so starting on PostgreSQL will make things a lot easier in the future.

Also, we’ll probably be redoing the farmOS.org website around the same time - so I hesitate to invest too much into the current docs. We have also been talking about adding a simple blog that folks in the community could use to post general purpose setup and usage guides.

In the meantime, feel free to use this forum to start drafting ideas!

1 Like

I like these ideas!

Eventually farmOS should probably also provide a blessed set of Helm charts for spinning up a “batteries-included” high-availability farmOS instance on a Kubernetes cluster.

There’s already this documentation on running farmOS behind a reverse proxy for local testing.

It might make sense to have a parallel set of documentation that expands on that with additional production considerations.

My understanding was that docker-compose.production.yml omitted the DB aspect on purpose since use-case specific care should be applied in choosing a solution that is sufficiently secured/redundant. Maybe Installing farmOS | farmOS should include a bit of explanation and/or guidance to make that explicit.

1 Like