Example farmOS.py CSV import script

Hey @paul121 : Excellent initiative! Being a near-total python n00b, i have my technical issues to sort out (1st related question posted to project repo), but at the higher business-case level, this sounds like a solid first step toward solving my big challenge of migrating my farm operational data from spreadsheets into farmOS.

So: my 1st hi-level question is: Could this script be modified and maintained with reasonable ease to work with v1.x API as well as v2?

I ask because, in light upcoming v2 release of farmOS, and these two related advisories @mstenta gave on last night’s Dev call- (1) to consider all data put into v2 Alfa instances as throwaway (it WILL be overwritten with each successive release); and (2) to not waste development effort against the v1.x API- i find myself in a bit of a quandry about strategy.

To explain: i am investing resources right now in this data migration challenge- by that i mean not farmOS v1.x to v2 migration, but rather from my existing spreadsheet-based model to farmOS- and for this project to be anything other than a bust, it needs to yield business results (i.e. farmOS as a useful tool in production, not just a R&D /playtime project). So: we need to be turning our existing spreadsheets into a CSV format that v1.x can understand now… But then the process of posting and updating new records is something i would really prefer to accomplish via API script.

SO: If you were in my position- i.e. a n00b w/o any in-house programming resources -i wonder how you might resolve this quandry? I guess the answer depends largely on how long it will be until farmOS comes out of alpha testing and into stable beta release (i know it’s bad form to ask this of FOSS developers, but even a “90% certain it will be before xyz date” would really help me in scoping this issue!).

2 Likes