farmOS 2.0.1 has been released

farmOS 2.0.1 has been released.

For the full release notes, see CHANGELOG.md.

1 Like

Nice. Is it possible to update by running docker compose in the dev instance?

1 Like

The dev environment is designed for development, and isn’t optimized for hosting real data. It is possible to update from one version of farmOS to another in a dev environment setup, but it requires more manual steps and a deeper understanding of the update process.

This boils down to how the Docker volumes are set up in the “development” vs “production” docker-compose.yml examples:

Notice how the development example mounts the whole /opt/drupal directory as a volume, whereas the production example only mounts /opt/drupal/web/sites. This means that the whole farmOS codebase is persisted outside of the container for development (so you can work on code in an IDE). In the production example, only the sites directory (which contains settings.php and uploaded files) is persisted. This means that updating the Docker image in a development environment does NOT update the farmOS code itself, and you must do that manually.

This doc page describes the manual steps you can use to update a development environment codebase manually: Updating local environment | farmOS

That is considered “advanced” usage, so the expectation is you will carefully understand each step of the process to ensure that it doesn’t break anything (and if it does you’ll know how to fix it). ALWAYS backup your data if you don’t want to lose it! :slight_smile:

If you started with a dev environment setup, and want to switch to a production setup (where updating the Docker container DOES update the farmOS code), it’s pretty easy. You should be able to just change the volume mounts so that only the sites directory is being mounted. But again: always backup your data if you don’t want to lose it! :wink:

1 Like

This is good stuff. After I mess around with installing a bit more I will be back with more use case questions. I really want to figure out the self hosting setup and use and then start spreading the word.

2 Likes