farmOS tagline for video demos

Some of us are updating the screencasts for the farmOS website and recording of demos that will go up on YouTube.

I’d like to end some of the videos with a quick animation of the farmOS logo and a tagline. This will soften the end for anything on YouTube, and tie all the videos together.

For the tagline, how would you summarize farmOS in less than 5 words? (or more, I’m not picky)

1 Like

FWIW, we made a farmOS flyer recently which might provide some ideas: farmOS-flyer.pdf - Google Drive

In the header of that we have a few possibilities:

farmOS: Record-Keeping and Data Management for Farms of All Sizes

farmOS: Your Farm. Your Data. Free and Open Source.

Of those, I like the second one. Perhaps it could even be shortened to:

farmOS: Your Farm. Your Data.

Although noting the “Free and Open Source” aspect might be important. :wink:

What do others think?

This is why I had trouble even coming up with an initial proposal! There are so many aspects that are appealing.
Also because I’m terrible at taglines - technical detail is so much more interesting.
I’ll have a play this weekend and make some animations with these (and any other proposed) taglines.

1 Like

I had a play, and came up with something like this: https://youtu.be/j9TDn-pWok4
It’s unlisted, so just for review.
I’m not sure if the record information is in any way representative.
Happy for any feedback - Along these lines, or taking a totally different tack.

1 Like

@kirsten_mc very cool!!

Regarding the tagline, I like the shortened “farmOS: Your Farm. Your Data.”!

But including something along the lines of “record keeping” in the tagline seems important to convey what farmOS actually does? Perhaps “Record-keeping and Data Management for Farms of All Sizes” could be a sub-tagline? Depending on the context if it isn’t already clear, space allows, etc. Sort of like the flier already does!

It’s a good start on the tagline video, too! What do you think about including some of the farmOS map visualizations in the video? That usually helps create the “wow” factor :slight_smile:

I also like the concept of fading from reality “your farm” to the digital “your data”. What if that was incorporated with the above idea, transitioning between maps/satellite view to farmOS map? Popups could appear on the map to convey data associations?

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback, @paul121!

I would love to do one with a map, but as you can see from the conversation around getting example data, we need a “demo farm” that we can use for that sort of recording.

So it sounds like “Your Farm. Your Data.” is good for the short tagline.

What if we pulled the extended tagline out of the short one:
Your Farm: large and small; subsistence and commercial; crop, dairy, poultry, meat and apiary
Your Data: record keeping and data management; free and Open Source

3 Likes

@kirsten_mc AWESOME! :smiley:

I love where this is headed!

FYI I am reaching out to a few research farms to see if we can use their geometries for demo data… so perhaps we can focus on getting that in place on demo.farmos.net, and then you can use it for the video. Will update that other forum thread when I hear back…

Once the kids are back in school and out of my hair I’ll take the Wolfe’s Neck KML data and see if we can make another quick clip with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes