Getting started with API's and eShepherd

First off, I’m no longer a coder. I stopped writing code in the days of DOS and while I have an extensive knowledge of computers in general, that part has left me behind. Secondly, I am a new user to FarmOS, so my enthusiasm is high, but my knowledge there is lacking, as well. Lastly, we have just started using a new virtual fencing product from Gallagher, called eShepherd. The interface is much the same as FarmOS, right down to the GIS support.

My question is whether any other users of FarmOS are also using eShepherd and if so, have you made any attempt to send the data from eShepherd to FarmOS?

I am told that there is an API available for eShepherd that might make this possible. But, I haven’t asked for access to it yet and I probably won’t until I am much more comfortable with the system.

I’m putting the first neckbands on a trial herd today, in an area where I can observe them continually throughout the day, in order to observe how the training process progresses, before I bring all the cattle in to be fitted.

2 Likes

Node-Red might be a good option for you if you understand programming concepts but are not up to date with the latest and greatest programming languages.

Otherwise there are Python and Java-Script libraries to investigate

I’m not familiar with the Gallagher API so can’t help there.

3 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve heard of Node-Red in connection with Home Assistant. But, I haven’t had the opportunity to dive into it. Thank you for the reply.

2 Likes

It’s a low code programming environment that I’ve found useful for working with API’s including Home Assistant but it is a stand alone application. But there are plenty of other options if you want to delve back into code.

First I’d find out if they will actually give you API access along with the required documentation before getting in too deep. Nothing came in for me on a quick Google, but that doesn’t mean they won’t either as I have had some successes and some refusals with a number of companies/organizations. Some will grant access but have unreasonable terms.

2 Likes

I was the same as you, except I was never a coder…

Node-Red helped me alot. And recently I’ve used ChatGPT to make my javascript code in Node-Red. It’s quite good at it too. Just ask the correct questions.

“I have this dataset, and want make it into this. Make the code for me, and comment so a hobby-coder understand whats going on”
:man_farmer:

3 Likes