INaturalist API connect FarmOS API

Maybe this is just my way of working.
I am a field technician
I use a camera
and then I catalog the photos.
I share the most important photos with farmers by email, to show interesting things, and it’s also a kind of training, especially to recognize insects.
I often put the photos in INaturalist, so they also become citizen science observations, and I can have identifications.
But farmers would find themselves confused on INaturalist, and I should give a link for every observation in every email addressed to them: it’s frustrating.
It would be interesting to use the INaturalist API and the FarmOS API to make it possible to transform a naturalistic observation into an observation on the farm application, with some additional agricultural technical information, but the photo and identification information on INaturalist.
What do you think?

6 Likes

Great idea! I’ve never used INaturalist, but this sounds like it could be a nice add-on module.

2 Likes

Intriguing idea, indeed…

@bonushenricus could you say a little more about the desired experience, flow, and outcome of this idea?

For example (for starters), would you envision creating an observation in iNaturalist first, then sharing that to farmOS, or vice versa?

2 Likes

Hi
Thanks for interesting.
I thought maybe that’s an exaggerated idea.
I am using iNaturalist on farms: I have created projects where the area is that of the farm itself. This may be enough for every farm and for the objective of defining a more or less functional biodiversity index over time.
In case something really important from the agricultural side has to be entered in the observations, we insert it manually.

2 Likes

Hi @bonushenricus,
Great idea!
I am using seek (including the iNaturalist API) for some weeks now.
I think it would be quite beneficial for both sides to have crowd sourced information about plants.
e.g. observations on plant diseases, pests, invasive plants (e.g. ragwort on your greenland).

Workflow could be:
scheduled requests with (buffered) field boundaries (did not yet find some polygon based API request options), via BBOX/circle (https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/how-to-use-inaturalists-search-urls-wiki/63#heading--bounding--area) would do the job for the beginning as well.

Push messages would be also great. Not sure what options iNaturalist have in their API.

Sharing such observations via farmOS -> iNaturalistAPI -> your neighbor famer/further interested stakeholders would be interesting as well.

3 Likes