Share your JupyterLite Examples

I wouldn’t recommend using the developer tools like that except to troubleshoot things when you absolutely need to look behind the curtain.

For day-to-day stuff it’s probably best thing is probably to let JupyterLite do that work for you.

You can just right click on the file and choose “download”;

Or for viewing purposes you can also click “Open” to view the file in JupyterLite directly;

Behind the curtain

The data is stored as a JSON blob, which you’d need to parse and extract the value from the “content” field;

If you saved that value to a text file with a .csv extension, you’d have your original file back.

Unfortunately, it looks like the dev tools viewer in Firefox truncates the values before parsing the JSON so it breaks on files as large as your CROPS.csv;

That part does work in Chrome though;

3 Likes

Following this post of yesterday on Jupyter Blog, i was able to deploy that template to a new Github repo just by clicking a single button, and then deploy the jupyterlite runtime as a new Github Pages site in about 5 minutes.

It’s an empty sandbox for the moment, as i don’t have more than this 1/4hr to play right now, but- thinking this may enable one of you dev dudes to create something wonderful :grin: -just thought i should nail it up here straightaway.

Let a thousand flowers bloom, in form of yourname.github.io/farmOS notebooks!

1 Like

PS: “If it sounds too good to be true,” as the saying goes, “it probably is” -certainly the case here. :frowning:

After a whole lot of diddling around in Github, i must admit defeat (for today at least): can’t find any way to upload files into the above-linked repo, in such a way that they will actually BE there for somebody coming in with another browser.

So all this affords me is another place to access a JupyterLite runtime -not a bad thing, but then it’s not what i was hoping it might provide. It is just me, i wonder, or is the facility indeed this limited?

@walt I think that if you upload files to this directory then they will appear in the JupyterLite environment: farmOS/content at main · ludwa6/farmOS · GitHub

Although I found that JupyterLite does not automatically pick up changes to that directory - and I needed to completely clear the browser cache for the JupyterLite site for files to appear.

FWIW there are some ideas for making “file management” in general easier to use in the Drupal JupyterLite module here: [META] File management [#3264048] | Drupal.org

Dooh! and here i was, trying everything i could think of in the “gh-pages” branch, thinking that’s the one that is made for publishing to username.github.io !

Yes! After many cache-flushes, eventual switch to a different browser, plus significant time elapsed, i now i see that my files uploaded to ‘main’ branch are indeed there (yay!).
NB: On return to my default browser (Firefox), it took me some time to make yesterday’s version of the .ipynb go away; it’s not as simple as just flushing the browser cache, but you have to go into the “Clear Recent History” dialog and tick ALL the boxes, including Data: Site Settings and Offine Website Data. Bit of a pain… Which is why i am glad to hear this:

:+1:

Oh good point @walt ! You had the right idea, actually, and I had to double-check but I see how it works now… it looks like the repo has a GitHub Actions workflow that automatically publishes any changes from the main branch to the gh-pages branch for you!

That’s handy! :slight_smile:

it took me some time to make yesterday’s version of the .ipynb go away; it’s not as simple as just flushing the browser cache, but you have to go into the “Clear Recent History” dialog and tick ALL the boxes, including Data: Site Settings and Offine Website Data. Bit of a pain…

Yea agreed - it would be great if we could make this less painful by connecting directly to Drupal’s file storage mechanisms. It will take some thought though - especially on the browser storage clearing question. It seems that JupyterLite has some hard assumptions there… although this upstream thread @Symbioquine found gives me some hope that they are thinking about it: Normalize and make Content frontends and backends extensible · Issue #315 · jupyterlite/jupyterlite · GitHub

2 Likes

I tested the “Animal CSV import” example, but I got an error in block [9] in line:
resp = await pyfetch(location.origin + ‘/api/taxonomy_term/animal_type’, method=‘POST’,

OSError: Request for https://localhost/api/taxonomy_term/animal_type failed with status 500: 500 Service unavailable (with message)

Did I overlook an important detail?

An HTTP 500 error is supposed to mean something when wrong on the server (farmOS in this case) side. Check the farmOS logs at /admin/reports/dblog on your farmOS instance. Hopefully that will give us a clue what went wrong.

1 Like

This is the farmOS log:

Location https://localhost/api/taxonomy_term/animal_type
Referrer https://localhost/jupyterlite/lab/index.html
Message Symfony\Component\Routing\Exception\MethodNotAllowedException: in Drupal\Core\Routing\Router->matchRequest() (line 134 of /opt/drupal/web/core/lib/Drupal/Core/Routing/Router.php).
Severity Error
Hostname 172.28.0.1

Does the user you’re testing with have permission to create new animal_type taxonomy terms?

Yes, I should have permission to create animal_type according to the JSON:API setting: “Accept all JSON:API create, read, update, and delete operations.”

I added to the farmOS log above the Hostname which I forgot to write. Shouldn’t it be the localhost?

If you’re comfortable doing so, can you open your browser dev tools’ network tab and right click on that request which is failing with the 500 error, then click “copy as cURL”. The resulting clipboard contents can be pasted into a terminal (mac or linux) and " -i" can be added after the “curl” (e.g. “curl -i …”) part of the command to see the response headers along with the response body. That may give us a clue why it is failing…

It will probably look something like this;

curl -i 'https://v2.farmos.test/api/taxonomy_term/animal_type' -X POST -H 'User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0' -H 'Accept: */*' -H 'Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5' -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br' -H 'Referer: https://v2.farmos.test/jupyterlite/lab/index.html' -H 'Content-type: application/vnd.api+json' -H 'X-CSRF-Token: ----OMITTED----' -H 'Origin: https://v2.farmos.test' -H 'DNT: 1' -H 'Connection: keep-alive' -H 'Cookie: ----OMITTED----; has_js=1; jupyterliteDrupalBasePath=/; assetLinkDrupalBasePath=/; ----OMITTED----' -H 'Sec-Fetch-Dest: empty' -H 'Sec-Fetch-Mode: cors' -H 'Sec-Fetch-Site: same-origin' --data-raw '{"data": {"type": "taxonomy_term--animal_type", "attributes": {"name": "Sheep2"}}}'

This is the response:
curl -k -i ‘https://localhost/api/taxonomy_term/animal_type’ -X POST -H ‘User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0’ -H ‘Accept: /’ -H ‘Accept-Language: de,en-US;q=0.7,en;q=0.3’ -H ‘Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br’ -H ‘Referer: https://localhost/jupyterlite/lab/index.html’ -H ‘Content-type: application/vnd.api+json’ -H ‘X-CSRF-Token: —DEL—’ -H ‘Origin: https://localhost’ -H ‘Connection: keep-alive’ -H ‘Cookie: Drupal.tableDrag.showWeight=0; —DEL—; jupyterliteDrupalBasePath=/’ -H ‘Sec-Fetch-Dest: empty’ -H ‘Sec-Fetch-Mode: cors’ -H ‘Sec-Fetch-Site: same-origin’ --data-raw ‘{“data”: {“type”: “taxonomy_term–animal_type”, “attributes”: {“name”: “Sheep”}}}’

HTTP/1.1 500 500 Service unavailable (with message)
Server: nginx/1.21.6
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 22:33:31 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Length: 2194
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: must-revalidate, no-cache, private
X-UA-Compatible: IE=edge
Content-language: en
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
Permissions-Policy: interest-cohort=()
expires: -1
X-Generator: Drupal 9 (https://www.drupal.org)
pragma: no-cache

The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later.<br><br><em class="placeholder">Symfony\Component\Routing\Exception\MethodNotAllowedException</em>:  in <em class="placeholder">Drupal\Core\Routing\Router-&gt;matchRequest()</em> (line <em class="placeholder">134</em> of <em class="placeholder">core/lib/Drupal/Core/Routing/Router.php</em>). <pre class="backtrace">Drupal\Core\Routing\AccessAwareRouter-&gt;matchRequest(Object) (Line: 151)
Drupal\Core\Routing\AccessAwareRouter-&gt;match(&#039;/api/taxonomy_term/animal_type&#039;) (Line: 138)
Drupal\user\Plugin\LanguageNegotiation\LanguageNegotiationUserAdmin-&gt;isAdminPath(Object) (Line: 104)
Drupal\user\Plugin\LanguageNegotiation\LanguageNegotiationUserAdmin-&gt;getLangcode(Object) (Line: 188)
Drupal\language\LanguageNegotiator-&gt;negotiateLanguage(&#039;language_interface&#039;, &#039;language-user-admin&#039;) (Line: 133)
Drupal\language\LanguageNegotiator-&gt;initializeType(&#039;language_interface&#039;) (Line: 218)
Drupal\language\ConfigurableLanguageManager-&gt;getCurrentLanguage() (Line: 92)
Drupal\language\EventSubscriber\LanguageRequestSubscriber-&gt;setLanguageOverrides() (Line: 74)
Drupal\language\EventSubscriber\LanguageRequestSubscriber-&gt;onKernelRequestLanguage(Object, &#039;kernel.request&#039;, Object)
call_user_func(Array, Object, &#039;kernel.request&#039;, Object) (Line: 142)
Drupal\Component\EventDispatcher\ContainerAwareEventDispatcher-&gt;dispatch(Object, &#039;kernel.request&#039;) (Line: 134)
Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\HttpKernel-&gt;handleRaw(Object, 1) (Line: 80)
Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\HttpKernel-&gt;handle(Object, 1, 1) (Line: 67)
Drupal\simple_oauth\HttpMiddleware\BasicAuthSwap-&gt;handle(Object, 1, 1) (Line: 58)
Drupal\Core\StackMiddleware\Session-&gt;handle(Object, 1, 1) (Line: 48)
Drupal\Core\StackMiddleware\KernelPreHandle-&gt;handle(Object, 1, 1) (Line: 48)
Drupal\Core\StackMiddleware\ReverseProxyMiddleware-&gt;handle(Object, 1, 1) (Line: 51)
Drupal\Core\StackMiddleware\NegotiationMiddleware-&gt;handle(Object, 1, 1) (Line: 23)
Stack\StackedHttpKernel-&gt;handle(Object, 1, 1) (Line: 708)
Drupal\Core\DrupalKernel-&gt;handle(Object) (Line: 19)
</pre>

@Farmy can you please open a new topic to debug your instance? This thread is for sharing examples.

Edit: Although looking back it veered off topic long ago. So nevermind it probably doesn’t matter… ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I haven’t been able reproduce this problem, but I’m happy to help troubleshoot further if you feel like opening another thread @Farmy. I’m guessing this doesn’t really have anything to do with JupyterLite per se.

Yeah, it’s hard to tell how far afield to let the topic get. I think it can be useful to engage a bit on issues here, but probably not to go super deep on them…

2 Likes

Thank you @Symbioquine and @mstenta. I created a new topic here: Troubleshooting JSON:API / JupyterLite

1 Like

Some generally useful JupyterLite stuff I stumbled over: GitHub - innovationOUtside/ouseful_jupyterlite_utils: Utilities for working with JupyterLite

3 Likes

Rewriting inventory units post 2.x migration;

Script to manually migrate farm_birth logs from farmOS 1.x to farmOS 2.x;

copy_birth_logs_from_one_point_ex.ipynb

Note: there are some hard coded bits in there so it would almost certainly take some adapting to work for anyone else.

Please help make examples for importing harvest log from csv files. I don’t understand what to do, but I successfully import animals by following the examples. Thanks