Show a map in /location 2.x

In 2.0.0beta1 the “/locations” page does not show a map. I’m not showing any errors when loading the page so I don’t think it is an issue, just maybe no map on this page?

I believe this page is mainly to rearrange hierarchy. Same with the “asset/xxx/locations” pages.

If the map was purposely left out I’m wondering why. I think having a map on these pages just as a visual reference would be super when you have a lot of land assets your managing.

2 Likes

Ah yes @BOTLFarm ! That’s still on my wishlist too. Just didn’t make it into beta. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it will be too hard to add. AND I think it will be neat to have it on the “asset/xxx/locations” paths too, which are filtered to only show child locations! This will essentially close a long standing feature request (more or less): Show child areas in parent area map [#2551091] | Drupal.org

I don’t think we have a dedicated issue open yet for this, but I have it in my wishlist doc locally, so I’ll try to spin up a feature request soon for it.

If you’re interested in working on it, @paul121 or I can probably point you in the right direction! v2 has a pretty robust system for building maps in pages… that said it is a bit of a “deep dive” so no pressure. :slight_smile:

Or better yet, I may just repurpose that existing issue…

I can give it a shot if you point me in the right direction. I haven’t dug into the v2.x code really at all yet. Maybe it is to early for 2.x but the walkthrough of the code and how to modify it was super useful for 1.x that was done in the 2020 April Monthly Call.

1 Like

@paul121 and I were just talking about how fun it would be to make a series of farmOS v2 development tutorial videos - similar to that monthly call intro we did a while back. :slight_smile:

If you’re interested, maybe we can take a look at this together on next week’s dev call? Thursday at 12 Eastern: Jitsi Meet

Will see you on the call on Thursday!

1 Like

FYI: I opened a pull request to add a map to /locations.

I also commented on Issue #2551091 with details about how we might also add a map to /asset/[id]/locations in the future. That’s a bit more complicated, but I don’t think it needs to block this first step.

4 Likes