Splitting and Merging asset inventory when moving

An enhancement I would like to see is the ability to Split or Merge inventory when moving assets. So when moving the asset to a new location, you could split the inventory, sending some to one location and the rest to another. The reverse would be a Merge scenario, where several assets from multiple locations (possibly restricted to those sharing a common Group) could be merged forming a single asset in one location.

The usage scenario I have in mind is with livestock moves between paddocks. Various commercial livestock tracking products have Split and Merge feature as it is used all the time. It is very common to move a mob of sheep or cattle between paddocks and resize them in the process. So move a mob of 200 sheep out of paddock A, Split into two smaller mobs of 100 and place in paddock B and C. I guess in FarmOs in this scenarios could be achieved by cloning and existing mob of 200 then reduce the numbers in each to 100? But I expect it would be very messy.

As I understand it the ability to Split and Merge, when re locating inventory, might be useful in numerous farming endeavours. Does this idea seem useful to anyone else?

1 Like