Tailscale VPN - easy to use

Just a tip:

I spent the weekend trying to setup WireGuard VPN to access my Node-Red/farmOS setup outside my LAN.
Shouldn’t be too hard, but I could never succeed. No matter what I tried. Small detail I guess…

But then I came across Tailscale, based on the Wireguard protocol.
It was really easy to setup. Just install, and authenticate with Tailscale.com. Now all connected units are accessible with their hostnames and all. No fuzz.

Free plan seems pretty decent.

Anyone used it?
What other options do people use?

1 Like

I do roughly what I’ve described in this post: Internet-accessible Local-first farmOS hosting (Of course this setup is only a good fit if you actually want your farmOS install to be internet accessible.)

TL;DR; Host farmOS on my local network, but use a cloud IP address and reverse ssh port forwarding to make farmOS accessible via the same IP/DNS locally and on the public internet. Then use firewall rules on the local network to reroute requests to/from the cloud IP directly to/from the farmOS server - giving local performance/reliability.

2 Likes

I use WireGaurd to connect house to farm yard find it works well, I used piVPN to set it up, it’s like a WireGaurd wizard which simplified it.

I also use a Cloudflare Tunnel for accessing any web applications without the need for client software for a more hosted experience while maintaining security. I’m using the Cloudflare addon for Home Assistant.

1 Like

A nice feature of Cloudflare is it gives you a dashboard to launch all of your web apps

1 Like

@Farmer-Ed, is it the “Application services” free plan you are using?

My subscription shows “Cloudflare Zero Trust” price €0.0 so a free plan.
but I am paying for a domain name about €6 a year.

Ok. I’ll give that a try too.

One thing I liked about Tailscale was that it worked seamlessly when wifi dropped out.
I guess that’s possible with Cloudflare too.