Drone photogrammetry

Wanted to quickly chime in here! I’m helping a group integrate drone & satellite imagery from a self-hosted GeoServer into farmOS. We have a form in farmOS that is used to record activity logs (associated with the relevant areas) with info about the drone flight in the log’s data field. This basically means saving a “layer name” that’s used to request the WMS imagery layers from GeoServer.

Then when loading an area page, if there are any of these “imagery activity” logs that happened in the area, we add the imagery layers to the map. It works quite well! I haven’t done much work on the GeoServer side of things, but it seems fairly easy to set up. There is additional work needed for processing the drone imagery (and free Sentinel 2 imagery) before it is added to GeoServer - I’m not familiar with that process either.

I would love to be able to overlay the pictures of the complete field (small ones) and see the development.

Once you have multiple images added to the map this is quite possible. You can toggle the layer visibility to change which is “on top” and effectively see changes over time. A “timeline slider” would be the next best thing!

This has all worked well for farmOS 1.0 but I’m considering creating a first-class “imagery asset” for farmOS 2.0. This would allow for a more structured data model - logs and/or assets could have dedicated fields for referencing Imagery Assets, and the Imagery Asset could have fields for the values it needs (geoserver URL, authentication token/credentials, layer name, etc.) A nice feature this would provide is “archiving” imagery assets once they don’t need to be displayed in the map.

3 Likes