Drone photogrammetry

Very cool @BOTLFarm!! Glad you were able to figure that out. One thing to note though, a map/imagery server is still required :wink:

I recently found about about the Cloud Optimized Geotiff (COG) project. It allows a somewhat specialized geotiff file served by a standard file server to behave like a map server! I did a little bit of testing and was able to load a COG file from my farmOS server into a JS map - this is really cool because it means farmOS could be your imagery server, too!

It also allows for some cool features like the COG file being uploaded in the files of a “Drone flight” Activity log. I’m hoping to explore this further as I get the chance… pondering the concept of an “Imagery” asset type to help accommodate some of these features. Perhaps ways to visualize your library of imagery assets, compare over time, etc.

The tricky part is converting the imagery into a COG. But there are a good number of scripts/tools to do this and it is becoming more supported. A cool example is the Sentinel2 COG dataset on AWS: https://www.element84.com/blog/sentinel-2-cloud-optimized-geotiffs-now-available-on-aws-registry-of-open-data

3 Likes