Exploring Foodicons

Just bumping the Foodicons project again… I needed an icon for the Rothamsted experiment module and went to see if they had anything - they did! There are many many more icons than I had remembered, maybe a couple hundred now?

I first learned about Foodicons in 2021 from their OpenTEAM in-depth:

An introduction to Foodicons, an initiative to build a universal language, an iconography, to food and agriculture. This initiative has challenged designers to develop a shared, open-source, and royalty-free iconographic language of food to be unveiled at the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit.

I’m using this monocrops icon for a “Research” menu because it resembles crops in the experiment “plots”. I removed the surrounding hexagon so it can be enlarged to fill the menu (even then still is a bit small):

Screenshot from 2023-02-14 09-41-10

It might be interesting to explore using these icons more extensively in farmOS. The hexagons might not be a great fit for the menu icons but might work better elsewhere? Or perhaps in Asset Link and Field Kit?

3 Likes

What’s neat is that even if there isn’t an existing icon, there are extensive design guidelines and templates to create your own :slight_smile:

1 Like