farmOS translation (i18n)

Hi,

I’m trying to get farmos in German language, but I’m stumbling over serveral problems.
I have installed the modules (locale and l10_update) as discussed in this github issue https://github.com/farmOS/farmOS.org/issues/18
I was then able to download a German translation to my farmos. However a lot of strings are still not translated.
Now I’m trying to figure out how to provide my translations.
There are serveral observations I have made so far:

1. String seems to be translated, but showing English term in the web interface
    Example: on /log/add?destination=farm the various types of logs are listed - all in English. e.g. “Harvest”
    If I search for “Harvest” on admin/config/regional/translate/translate I get some results. The first one appears to be
    the one I’m looking for. If I click on edit, I can see that it has a German translation.
    Why is this translation not applied? Is this the wrong string? If yes, which one is the correct “Harvest” string?
  2. String appears in English language, but can not be found on localize.drupal.org
    Example: on /log/add?destination=farm above the log types farmos shows the instruction “Select a type of log to create.”
    Now I’m searching for “Select a type” on https://localize.drupal.org/translate/languages/de/translate?project=farm&status=0&release=all&search=Select%20a%20type%20of%20&author&context=all&limit=10&sid=0
    in order to provide a translation, but I do not get the result for “Select a type of log to create.”
    Strange: on my local farmos translation page admin/config/regional/translate/translate I do find an entry.
  3. Different translations for the same term
    Example: On /farm/assets/plantings the translation for “Plantings” is “Plfanzungen” (it has a typo, but it is more or less the correct term).
    On the same page the button for “Add planting” is translated with “Add Kultur”. “Kultur” is a better translation for “Planting”, but why does
    the German translation contain the English word “Add”? Searching for “Add kultur” on admin/config/regional/translate/translate reveals that
    there is an entry for “Add kultur” that does not have a German translation… very strange.
  4. String cannot be found in translate page
    Example: On farm/logs/all there is a Filter/Sort section. This is written in English as “Filter/Sort”.
    I try to provide a German translation, but if I check admin/config/regional/translate/translate I don’t find the
    right entry.

Can anybody explain these observaton and provide help? I feel like I’m doing something wrong the translations but I cannot figure out what.
    Thank you!