First blog posts brainstorm (dev call 2022-06-09)

Following on the discussion in the last monthly call, here are some notes from this week’s dev call with ideas for the first farmOS.org blog posts.

The idea is: we (the core team) can collaboratively write the first one (as a basic intro), and then we can commission future posts from other members of the community, with bounties paid from OpenCollective.

Ideas for first few posts:

1. Intro to farmOS (see below) - written by core team
  2. How do you get farmOS installed/running?
    • Demo site (for playing)
    • Farmier (hosted option)
    • Self-hosted (not covered? stay tuned for future posts!)
  3. Plant management in more depth
  4. Animal management in more depth

Intro to farmOS (first post)

• How to get started with farmOS as a complete beginner
    • Link to previous post for getting a farmOS instance / point to demo site as a quick suggestion (emphasize data will be lost, great for experimenting)
    • Quick overview/walkthrough of structure
      • Brief data model overview (assets and logs)
      • Basic navigation/pages/hierarchy
      • Point to docs for user guide / more info
    • Mapping some locations to start
      • How to use farmOS map (briefly)
      • “Locations” (aka Land/Structure assets)
    • Maybe two pathways/examples:
      • Plants
        • Planting quick form (unless using demo site, you may need to install via Settings > Modules)
        • Submit the quick form once, then go to see the records created
        • Look at the map to find your plant
        • Add an input/harvest log?
        • When your plant is harvested/terminated (assuming it’s an annual), archive it!
      • Animals
        • Add an animal asset
        • Use bulk actions to “Move” them to a paddock
        • Add an observation log?
        • When an animal is sold/died/etc archive it!
    • How to think about data
      • “Data is intended to be iterative. Assets can be archived. Logs flow into the past. Your records can become better / refine over time!”
      • Most important: Start putting data in! Even if it isn’t perfect. The process of learning what data needs to be tracked will be a bit different for everyone.
    • Happy record keeping! :smiley:
4 Likes

I didn’t get around do doing a concrete breakdown of the remaining technical tasks to prepare farmos.org for the blog’s source repo, as I planned after today’s dev call. It should be rather minimal, as I mentioned earlier, since a lot of the work is done and just needs to be merged, but I still want to look closer at my working branches to make sure I haven’t missed anything.

That said, I did want to just drop the links to those branches so anyone chomping at the bit to see how it works can check it out. Here’s my fork:

The branch you’ll probably want is the blog branch:

It branches from the site-data, which has the changes that restructure source-repos.js and renames it to site-data.js. I just rebased both onto the current main, so they should be good to work with locally.

The source I’m using for testing is here:

It’s listed in site-data.js as jgaehring/farmOS-community b/c I changed the name on GitHub at some point, but you can use it as is or set up your own source repo to test with if you like.

I think those are all the links. Hopefully I’ll get time tomorrow to assess more accurately what work remains. Once I do so, I’ll open a new proposal for the work with time estimates and a quote. once that’s all worked out I can

The one outstanding issue is how we want to structure Front Matter, because that will have a direct impact on the estimates and quotes I provide. I encourage anyone interested to look at our previous discussion about Front Matter, where I laid out some possibilities, but if I don’t hear anything else from anyone on the issue I will just scope it for some minimal YAML properties that seems sensible to me, and we can review/amend before approving that proposal.

1 Like