Welcome to the farmOS forum

This is the official forum for farmOS, the open source farm management, planning, and record keeping system (https://farmOS.org). It is developed by a community of volunteers and aims to provide a standard platform for farmers, developers, and researchers to build upon. If you have questions about farmOS, want to help others learn to use it, or want to take part in the development planning process, this is the place!

5 Likes

Thanks for creating all of this @mstenta. It’s really a great option for people like me who want to contribute but can’t make it to the calls or IRC.

1 Like

Thanks for joining @applecreekacres! Looking forward to talking more! :slight_smile:

Thanks to @mstenta a great job to have this solution, I can participate in the Supporting French Language,

I am interested in adding features to support Snail farming

2 Likes

Great to have you @mzghoumi! I bet you could get pretty far using the existing “Animal” asset type. Animal assets can have a “head count” which could be used to represent “batches” of snails. See https://farmos.org/guide/assets/animals/

Hello FarmOS! I found your site because a colleague of mine who does farm research for Ohio State University sang its praises and suggested I contact you. I am the PI on an urban agriculture production and sales system that we have been piloting in Mansfield, Ohio since 2019. We have trained a dozen new farmers to grow market crops on what we call “microfarms.” The microfarm is designed to be a “right-sized” urban crop production site, being small enough for a single farmer or household to work ~20/30 hrs/wk, large enough to bring a potential household supplementary income of $30-35,000. They are comprised of 6,000 square feet of growing area, half of which is under high tunnel solar greenhouses for extended season growing. We also facilitated the creation of a farmer-owned cooperative, which develops annual crop plans with all the farmers, based on buyer orders. We need farmOS for each farm, but we also need that data to flow into aggregation, sorting, re-boxing, and point of sale. I’ve attached a crude powerpoint diagram of our information flow. So my question is whether farmOS has the capability to add this extended data stream, from centralized (cop plan), to decentralized (farm plan), to centralized (harvest #), to decentralized (#s/$ per farm)? We are pursuing a small grant to find/develop the right system for our farmers and their cooperative. Thank you for any advice or suggestions! Warmly, Kip Curtis, OSU

3 Likes

Hi @KipCurtis - welcome to the farmOS forum! That sounds like an exciting project! :smiley:

It sounds like the farmOS Aggregator might be helpful in this scenario. It is essentially a Python-based microservice that can be used as a “connector” between many farmOS instances and another system/software. It handles maintaining/refreshing the OAuth2 access tokens to each instance, and provides a single unified API to whatever software needs to communicate with them. Your software can then push/pull records to one/many farmOS instances through the Aggregator API.

In this way, each farm can still have their own individual farmOS instance, along with all the benefits that provides (data ownership/sovereignty, customized modules/features, etc), and at the same time they can “opt-in” to connect with an Aggregator to share (or receive) records.

We have a lot of the pieces for what you’re designing! But there would certainly still be some work involved. I would highly recommend building this on farmOS 2.0, which is very close to its first beta, and Aggregator 2.0 will be available soon after. There is a “Crop Plan” module for farmOS 1.x, which we are hoping to port to 2.x soon as well, which you may want to look into. If you are applying for a grant it might be worth connecting with one of the farmOS developers to help with it.

We have a monthly community call on the second Wednesday of the month. The next one is December 8th. The schedule and link is available here: Monthly Call - farmOS.org

Exciting ideas! Best of luck as you organize this - I’m eager to hear more as things develop! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

VERY interesting, Kip -and highly relevant to what we’re working on here in our little corner of the world (SW Algarve/ Portugal/ Iberia/ EurAsia -in bioRegional terms :slight_smile: )

Have recently joined a local ProSumer Co-Op of farmers & consumers, and are now trying to figure out how we can create a shared inventory system of crops-in-field / committed orders; am presently investigating the Open Food Network to see if they’ve got some technology/ infrastructure we might bootstrap.

Meanwhile, have just added my farmOS instance to the farmOS aggregator for the Real Food Campaign, in which we are participating as a Grower Partner… But there are a number of standards to consider here, in the interest of data interop, as you are clearly aware.

Am looking forward to our community call next Wednesday, and hoping to see you there!

/walt

3 Likes

It sounds like I found the right place! I look forward to joining the call on Wednesday.

2 Likes

Hi!
I’m a develper starting to use farmOS as a home tool (I have a tiny property with some beds, some fruit trees, some chickens,…) and also interested in learning drupal. So I’m here to join the community and try to give something back to this project.
I’m actually tinkering with the system a little bit, reading the docs and this forum, looking examples of custom modules and found some interesting things (the OpenFarm integration could be a great way to load a lot of data into seeds/crop/variety…). Maybe one day I can help with something, but first I need to learn a little bit more.
Cheers!

4 Likes

Hi. New to farmOS. Trying to sort out the install. My particulars…

Local non Docker install
Apache web server
mariaDB (MySql) database
SSL already implemented

I untarred the contents into the “/var/www/” which created “/var/www/farmOS” and below directories.

What is needed to setup the drupal instance the rest of the way?

I have created a database in mariaDB and have user/password with all privileges, but don’t have any additional information is where to start.

1 Like

After unpacking the gz tarball in the web path, putting in the database credentials into farmOS/web/sites/default/settings.php, updating the webroot to /var/www/html/farmOS/web all it gives me is 404 errors.

I started with an SSL enabled apache2 webserver.

What I did not find in the package was any sort of initial database load for the Drupal configuration. What am I missing?

1 Like

Hi @StuartP - Sounds like you’re on the right track. :slight_smile:

Would you mind starting a new forum topic in the “Hosting farmOS” category? Happy to help you debug.

We provide some recommended approaches to installing farmOS, but because it is just a Drupal “distribution”, there are as many ways to do it as there are ways to install Drupal itself. So you may find some answers searching the web for more general Drupal installation instructions, given the specifics your particular environment.

Maybe this will help:

Generally speaking, as long as you have your Apache virtual host pointed at the web directory that is included in the farmOS tarball, navigating to your farmOS domain should bring you to the Drupal install.php wizard. If you are seeing 404s, then something else must be wrong.

Note: it’s possible to allow Drupal to create settings.php entirely for you (although I forget all the considerations off the top of my head… I think you just need the web/sites/default directory to be writable by Apache (www-data). So you might try deleting the one you created, set the directory permissions, and try again (once you figure out the 404 issue). That will ensure that settings.php is created automatically by Drupal, which might reduce the possibility of introducing other issues…

Hope that helps! Happy to help more in a dedicated forum topic thread… :+1:

Mike,

I did get it figured out. The actual error was too high of PHP version (8.1) Which I had installed trying to install Drupal 9 vanilla. I uninstalled php and installed php7.3 and it is now functional. Basically I now have a Drupal 8 site running under Drupal 9. The changes to Drupal 9 appear to be the use of Plugins more than Modules, but Modules are still supported.

Current setup:
Machine Host - Physical server, Debian 10 64 Bit, no gui. 500gb HD, 1TB SSD (VM Files all on SSD for performance)
Network: gigabit NIC, gigabit fiber optic main line.

Virtualization: VirtualBox

FarmOS VM:
Debian 11, 64 bit, no gui
Apache2
MySql 8
FarmOS

It appears to be working as designed. I am using this setup as I host several websites, each in their own VM. Most of them are Debian 10 no gui, Apache2, MySql, and either Drupal 8 or Wordpress. I have two dedicated VMS as well. Both are Debian 9. One is a vpnserver so I can get to my network from outside. One is an Apach2 proxyvm to route my one outward facing IP to each of the VM’s through a reverse proxy. I do SSL via “letsencrypt” in each of the webserver VM’s and have cron jobs running to replicate the encryption keys to the proxyvm so it does the http/https redirect.

I have an automated weekday morning at 2-ish shutdown/snapshot/restart process and maintain 20 snapshots so if something gets broken I’m back up to the previous snapshot quickly.

Back to FarmOS itself:

Are there plans to fix the date widget? Defaulting to a valid time of 12:00:00AM would handle the bad error message when entering a date where the time doesn’t matter, such as the birth date of an animal.

How can you add a “satellite” view layer to the map? Trying to properly identify my land and structures on the map is guess work with no “features” visible beyond the “streets”.

As an aside, how difficult would it be to setup every asset to be “at” a “location”, and restrict users to just that “location”? Some of my “owned” goats are at other locations, and it would be great to allow a login ID to only access the appropriate records. I read something about something close to that…I’ll need to dig more.

I’ll consider starting a “Hosting FarmOS” topic about my setup.

I’m trying to figure out a better way to layout Asset information for data entry as well.

2 Likes

@StuartP Glad you got it working! Please copy and paste your other questions into a new forum topic - happy to answer them - doesn’t make sense to clutter this “Welcome” topic anymore (might see if I can lock comments moving forward too).