Interest in an ongoing programming/development call?

Update: We are holding a weekly farmOS development call on Thursdays at 9AM PST, meeting at https://meet.jit.si/farmos-dev.

Next call: 2021-07-22T16:00:00Z

I believe we’ve thought about this before, the idea of having an ongoing call dedicated to talking about programming and development of farmOS features. Its been on my mind recently and I’d be happy to help organize such a thing, but more importantly, would there be any interest in such a call?

A few motivations for this:

• See y’all more! Motivation to make more things!
  • In the monthly call we often touch on these ideas but don’t always have the time to go much deeper.
  • The monthly call brings together all of our community, as it should! But as more and more less-technical and new users (no hate!!! :heart:) join the monthly call, it would be nice to have a dedicated time to talk about specific development questions, farmOS APIs, Drupal, etc…
  • There are so many opportunities to extend farmOS for custom use cases and integrations. Embracing and encouraging these developments (I believe) is important for the continued growth and adoption of farmOS.
  • New and improved opportunities with farmOS 2.x (shoutout Drupal 9). Really excited about this.

Ever since we started the core development of 2.x I’ve been learning more & more & more about the farmOS internals and how it is built on Drupal (we’ve essentially started from scratch with 2.x!). There’s certainly a significant learning curve with all of this though, most specifically the Drupal APIs. I’m quite fortunate to have been learning Drupal 9 while being paid for 2.x development and am happy to share back what I’ve learned as I can.

My thought is to set this up as a sort of community office hours/coffee shop vibe - drop in, ask questions, share ideas, tips & help each other out. I’d like to start these focusing on 2.x farmOS/Drupal development since that is nearly ready & efforts made now will last longer than they would in 1.x. BUT of course anyone & any question would be welcome!

I don’t want to get too crazy about event organization… I think it would make sense to start a farmOS group on https://groups.drupal.org/ which can then be used to schedule events & maintain a history. It would also be cool to run meetings under the larger context of GOAT, using a community Jitsi audio/video server we’ve discussed before… perhaps this could help motivate that development…

As for timing, maybe once a month? twice a month? Offset from the monthly call would be great, and ideally on a different day & time to maybe accommodate other schedules. Personally I’d prefer late afternoon PST so it cuts out less of the workday and makes it easier to chat longer :beers: but obviously there isn’t a perfect recipe for this…

Who’s in? Show your interest in the poll?

Meeting day
  • Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

0 voters

Meeting time
  • 9am-12pm PST
  • 12-3pm PST
  • 3-6pm PST

0 voters

3 Likes

That’s me :slight_smile: Kinda. Actually, I feel like a lost technical person in a deep pool of things I only know from being self-taught. I am very interested in how this all works and am making efforts to understand the technical side of FarmOS. So don’t count my vote with too much weight because I am in BAD timezone for you guys :wink:

2 Likes

+1 I think this is a great idea! :slight_smile:

That’s how I feel too! Minus the timezone. :wink:

I understand more than I can put to use. But I’ll be diving in soon to see how much help I need from others.

Prost! :beers:

1 Like

Haha well having the interest & motivation to learn is good enough for me! :slight_smile:

Maybe we could start this on Thursday April 22nd? That could be the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month going forward?

3 Likes

I created a farmOS developers Drupal group and started an event for April 22nd at 4pm PDT: farmOS Developers | Drupal Groups

You can (optionally) make an account on groups.drupal.org and subscribe to the group and event updates. Each event has a spot for comments… maybe we can keep a simple agenda there? Not sure an entire discourse thread is needed for this, it can be more informal.

I chose 4pm as a start time but we can certainly change if needed! (I meant for that “Meeting time” poll to be the “Meeting start time”, wasn’t suggesting the calls go for 3 hours each)

Still TBD on an audio/video program… shall we just stick with Zoom? @mstenta can we re-use the monthly call zoom link for this? Thoughts?

2 Likes

@mstenta can we re-use the monthly call zoom link for this?

I won’t be able to join at 7 pm Eastern (but happy to see this happen anyway!) However I don’t think the monthly call zoom link will work. That’s set up through my paid Zoom account, and it requires the host to allow people to enter (because it doesn’t have a password and Zoom requires one or the other). I can’t make someone a host BEFORE the call starts unless that person is part of the paid Zoom plan (which costs more) as far as I can tell.

Maybe Jitsi?

1 Like

Okay, lets try this Jitsi meeting link… I believe it’s a public link that is open all the time

2 Likes

I’m interested for sure, and will try to make this first meeting, but 4PM PST is 7pm EST, and that is not something that is sustainable for myself and I suspect other east coasters.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @robertwb !

I’m sure the timing can be worked out in the future for those on the East Coast.

Hopefully, you’ll be able to join us tomorrow for a bit.

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in @robertwb !

Understood. Maybe we can alternate between an east and west coast time. And every once in a while have a special time for @MorgsBrew :wink:

Hopefully this Jitsi link works out well… if it’s open all the time, folks could ping the farmOS chat and see if anyone is available/interested in jumping on a call. Or schedule any other time as well. More than happy to see the community “self-manage” this :+1:

2 Likes

This first call went well! Just @shane_aldrich @Symbioquine and myself. Chatted about some core Drupal concepts (configuration, menu, views, blocks, twig/theming/templating) and some ideas re: on farm workflows and when/how data is entered in farmOS.

@robertwb @mstenta east coast time for May 6th?

2 Likes

Thanks for this accommodation and glad the first meeting went well. Off the top of my head, how does 3pm EST sound?

1 Like

@paul121 Glad to hear it!!

5/6 at 3 pm works for me! Earlier would be even better but whatever works for others. :slight_smile:

Are we on for another of these tomorrow? I can probably make 3pm EST if that works better for other folks…

2 Likes

This is yesterday in non-American writing :wink:

1 Like

Update: I will no longer be able to make today’s call. A new extended family member was born yesterday. :slight_smile:

I’ll try to catch the next one if I can!

2 Likes

I can make it today as well :+1:

1 Like

Scheduled an event for 5/20 at 4pm PDT: farmOS Developers - May 20 | Drupal Groups

We didn’t have any east coast folks last week and I’m hoping we can find a time offset from the Monthly call. Afternoon PST is my preference but open for objections :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was out of town for the last one. But I should be available for the next discussion.

Prost! :beers:

2 Likes