I believe we’ve thought about this before, the idea of having an ongoing call dedicated to talking about programming and development of farmOS features. Its been on my mind recently and I’d be happy to help organize such a thing, but more importantly, would there be any interest in such a call?
A few motivations for this:
- See y’all more! Motivation to make more things!
- In the monthly call we often touch on these ideas but don’t always have the time to go much deeper.
- The monthly call brings together all of our community, as it should! But as more and more less-technical and new users (no hate!!! ) join the monthly call, it would be nice to have a dedicated time to talk about specific development questions, farmOS APIs, Drupal, etc…
- There are so many opportunities to extend farmOS for custom use cases and integrations. Embracing and encouraging these developments (I believe) is important for the continued growth and adoption of farmOS.
- New and improved opportunities with farmOS 2.x (shoutout Drupal 9). Really excited about this.
Ever since we started the core development of 2.x I’ve been learning more & more & more about the farmOS internals and how it is built on Drupal (we’ve essentially started from scratch with 2.x!). There’s certainly a significant learning curve with all of this though, most specifically the Drupal APIs. I’m quite fortunate to have been learning Drupal 9 while being paid for 2.x development and am happy to share back what I’ve learned as I can.
My thought is to set this up as a sort of community office hours/coffee shop vibe - drop in, ask questions, share ideas, tips & help each other out. I’d like to start these focusing on 2.x farmOS/Drupal development since that is nearly ready & efforts made now will last longer than they would in 1.x. BUT of course anyone & any question would be welcome!
I don’t want to get too crazy about event organization… I think it would make sense to start a farmOS group on https://groups.drupal.org/ which can then be used to schedule events & maintain a history. It would also be cool to run meetings under the larger context of GOAT, using a community Jitsi audio/video server we’ve discussed before… perhaps this could help motivate that development…
As for timing, maybe once a month? twice a month? Offset from the monthly call would be great, and ideally on a different day & time to maybe accommodate other schedules. Personally I’d prefer late afternoon PST so it cuts out less of the workday and makes it easier to chat longer but obviously there isn’t a perfect recipe for this…
Who’s in? Show your interest in the poll?
- 9am-12pm PST
- 12-3pm PST
- 3-6pm PST