farmOS Monthly Call, 13 September 2023
Ongoing notes may be kept in the comments. For general information about these monthly calls see farmos.org/community/monthly-call.
Wednesday, September 13, 2023 6:00 PM
farmos.org/community/monthly-call/join - Call Link
- Community Q&A, Show & Tell, etc [5-10min]
- Invite everyone to weekly dev call for ongoing schema discussions
- New features coming in farmOS v2.2.0
- Configurable quick forms
- UI enhancements
- Setup UI
- Account Admin role
- CSV importers(?)
- What’s next?
- farmOS v3/ Drupal 10
- Simple Oauth v6
- Ongoing MODUS work
- Various UI improvements, inventory quick form
- Demo of
create-field-module by @jgaehring (@farmos.org/create-field-module - npm)
- Create new wiki topic for next month from template.
- Michael Stenta
- Darren Wright (Buzz KC)
- Jamie Gaehring
- Paul Weidner
- Vic SF
- eddie maher
Whoops, I realize the link I sent in chat was the wrong npm scope. It should have been
Here are my running notes from the call if anyone needs to catch up-- So many awesome & exciting updates!
New features coming in 2.2.0 (from 2.1.2)
- Introducing configurable quick forms - nothing new with UI, but a new developer feature if you’re making quickforms
- Ability to create a unified, official way to allow quickforms to have configuration - for example, if you use the eggs contributed quick form, could take a version of that and allow for multiple differently structured ways of expressing it
- Same with Inventory - could configure for hay, seed, etc - configured to associate with a specific asset
- Has allowance for much greater complexity - could configure Spraying quickform with your different mixes to have differnt prepouplated form for each one
UI enhancements from Paul No live demo, but can link to forum topics - 2 main things as part of Action
- Table listings for things like Assets & Logs to reduce white space
- Dashboard improvements for accessability & readability
- Taking standard ‘card’ theme & adding to dashboard
Improvements to editing pages (Mike’s favorite improvement!), adding sidebar to hold asset metadata, adding vertical tabs to group categories within a form for better navigation, moved ‘save’ button to top of page
adding setup page
- Supporting Our-Sci work with Rothamstead farms & OpenTEAM
- Setup area distinct from settings, new setup module has its own menu - makes it easier to navigate to modules, taxonomy pages, etc.
- Can also add different types of setup pages for notifications, products, or other things that need initial configuration.
-Distinguishing from settings by creating content, things you need to do on a regular basis . Settings would be something only the owner would do, but Setup has lower permissioning so more people can access, modify and change
- Improves UX for what’s available now, and also opens door for additional improvements.
CSV importer improvements - trying to strike balance between set of default importers for assets & logs, but also provide a framework for creating your own csv importer templates - can’t build in UI yet, need to bring in a yml file, but that’s a possibility for the future. ([using drupal Migrate API yaml)
-set log type, set destination, add different places for each CSV column then autogenerate log names -can also define permissions/access & define columns
-Modus module for farmOS -this month focused on wrapping up these things that we just showed
- After that, focusing more on backend - need to update from drupal 9 to drupal 10 - this will also mean that we’re going to jump from farmOS v2 - v3 updating oauth scopes (packets of permissions) to allow for better consent management
After that, back to UI & frontend improvements -
- May add quickform for inventory managment - ability to manage inventory by product - quantity etx - already have the ability to do this by asset, will have ‘product’ asset - this will be useful for sharing inventory availability for marketplace tracking etc
- May spend some time porting Crop Module from v1-v2 Also participating in collabathons!
farmOS 2.2 by the end of this month - just trying to decide if we want to include csv importer in this release or the next one