'landmark' and 'Other' Assets not showing on summary pop up

I am using the landmark asset type for woodland so it is easy to see the difference between woodland and arable fields on the maps under different colours.

One problem I have found is that its summary pop up dies nit appear when the area is selected on the dashboard. It does work if you de select the beds and fields in the land layers. Is thus deliberate ?

Is there another way of selecting a colour for a land asset so you can see the difference on the map by colour ? This would be helpful both with land assets but also plant assets when looking at the asset summary plan of the farm.

Version 2

1 Like

One problem I have found is that its summary pop up dies nit appear when the area is selected on the dashboard. It does work if you de select the beds and fields in the land layers. Is thus deliberate ?

Is the landmark/other asset overlapping the beds/fields? If so, then the only way to click it is to hide the beds/fields.

Layers are rendered in a specific order. “Landmark” and “Other” land type geometries are rendered on the bottom. “Fields” and “Beds” are higher up, so if they overlap then technically they will “cover” landmarks/other assets.

When you click on the map, the map code has to figure out which geometry you are clicking on. It does this by taking the lat/lon of the point you clicked and intersecting that with all of the visible feature layers (geometries). It will choose the geometry that is highest in the layer stack.

On the dashboard map, with overlapping geometries, the only way to click on the lower ones is to turn off the higher ones.

Another approach would be to go to Records > Assets > Land and filter by Land Type, so that the Field and Bed types are NOT selected. Then you should be able to click on your Landmark/Other geometries. Two ways to get the same result… depending on your workflow maybe one or the other will work better.

Is there another way of selecting a colour for a land asset so you can see the difference on the map by colour ? This would be helpful both with land assets but also plant assets when looking at the asset summary plan of the farm.

I’m not sure I understand this - can you provide a more specific walkthrough of what you would expect to see? There is already some logic for showing different asset types (and different land types) in different colors, depending on which map you are looking at.

Thank you - that is very clear on the layer hierarchy. I had my external farm boundary as a field but I have now designated it as other so that everything above it in the hierarchy now shows.

For the custom colouring of different assets it might be more relevant for plant assets.
It might be useful to filter all plant assets to 2022 season which will then show all those assets on a map. At present I believe it shows all plant assets in green. It might be useful for me to be able to decide that each of my different plant types have a specific colour so when I view the map it will show all fields with grass in green, all corn yellow, all timber brown etc.

1 Like

Great!

I had my external farm boundary as a field but I have now designated it as other

There is also a “Property” land type that is generally used for this purpose (farm boundary) - but whatever works for you!

It might be useful for me to be able to decide that each of my different plant types have a specific colour so when I view the map it will show all fields with grass in green, all corn yellow, all timber brown etc.

I like this idea! Adding the “feature-request” tag to this topic…

Thanks - is it possible to change the land type name. Ie if I can change landmark to woodland ?

1 Like

is it possible to change the land type name. Ie if I can change landmark to woodland ?

I would recommend creating a new “Woodland” land type instead via a custom module: Fields | farmOS

Alternatively, there is an add-on module which provides a “Forest” asset type: GitHub - farmOS/farm_forest: Forest management planning module for farmOS.

(Note that that module is still in development for v2, though, and not all the features from v1 (eg: the Forest Plan) have been ported yet.)