Modifying the footer Powered by to adapt the software to my local application

Hello, everyone I started using farmOS some days ago, and I want to customize the footer Powered by farmOS to something else however it’s not picking, here are the files I have modified:

FarmPoweredByBlock.php and FarmBlockTest.php and also changed the farm_ui_theme.install but still the copyright on the footer doesn’t change, I am using docker on Windows, and after changes, I run the following command to build the image again

docker-compose up --build

Can you please point me out where this can be changed permanently?

Hello, @mstenta please I need some helps here, I was able to make some change in other parts of the project, however, the footer seems to be rendered somewhere else.

Thanks

@Mountaga That text is provided as a “Block”, which means you can disable/hide/replace it via the Drupal admin UI at [url]/admin/structure/block.

https://www.drupal.org/docs/core-modules-and-themes/core-modules/block-module/managing-blocks

If you need to make a change in code, rather than database configuration on a deployed instance, you can create a custom module that implements hook_block_view_alter(): https://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/core!modules!block!block.api.php/function/hook_block_view_alter/8.2.x

It is never a good idea to make changes to farmOS code directly. If you do, then it becomes a lot harder for you to upgrade to new versions of farmOS when they become available. The correct approach is to write a module that makes modifications.

https://www.drupal.org/developing/modules

In either case, I do hope you’ll consider including a link to farmOS.org and make it clear to your users that the software is built and maintained by the farmOS community. We’ve put a lot of work into this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @mstenta this is really helpful, I thank the farmOS community team for their hard work and I will convince my boss to not remove this, I really appreciate the response.

Please @mstenta is there any way to link the app to a local db like pgAdmin?

I have created a database in pgAdmin with these credentials:
db_name: farm
username: farm
password: farm

I found this https://farmos.org/development/environment/postgresql/ in the user guide, but still.

However, when I start up the application it does not save the data to my local database, what should I do?

1 Like

Are you getting an error message during installation that provides any clues?

How are you running farmOS? In Docker? Or directly on your server’s Apache/Nginx?

When you install farmOS, during the database credentials step, after selecting “PostgreSQL”, there is an “Advanced” section where you can specify the hostname of the database server. This usually needs to be changed based on your specific setup.

Hello, @mstenta I am using Docker on Windows, yes during the setup process I followed the farmOS documentation on how to set up the application I put db in the advance section.

@Mountaga Did you follow the “development environment” guide?

If so, then that means you have a PostgreSQL server running in Docker already.

If you created another PostgreSQL server (via pgAdmin), then you may have two separate databases running. That might explain why you aren’t seeing any data in the farm database that you created in pgAdmin.

If you want pgAdmin, then you will probably need to add a third container to your docker-compose.yml for it. Here is a quick guide I found - but you will need to figure out how to customize it. I’m not familiar with using pgAdmin myself:

Generally speaking, you shouldn’t need to work directly with the farmOS database. Drupal and its modules provide a database abstraction layer to handle all the table creation and queries. pgAdmin might help you to look at the database to see how it is structured, but I wouldn’t recommend using it to make any modifications.

Hope that helps and makes sense!

1 Like

Thank you for your time @mstenta I will test this and see.

1 Like