OpenStreetMap 418 error

For the first time I’m encountering a 418 error in my development environment for OpenStreetMap tile layers. This isn’t happening on a production server, just local, so it makes sense that I might be making too many requests with frequent reloads to a page, but still wanted to note this & my findings…

This question was recently asked here (12 hours ago) on the openstreet map forum: Tile layer 418 error. - OSM Help

This comment in the thread is a little concerning:

The standard OSM tiles servers are meant for mappers. The policy used to be lightly enforced, but now it is more strictly enforced.

The thread also references the OSM tile usage policy:

OpenStreetMap data is free for everyone to use. Our tile servers are not.

(Requirement #1): Heavy use (e.g. distributing an app that uses tiles from openstreetmap.org) is forbidden without prior permission from the Operations Working Group. See below for alternatives.

My understanding is that we inherit a lot of this functionality (most specifically the tile.openstreetmap.org URL) in farmOS-map from OpenLayers. Perhaps we should consider making the OSM URL configurable in farmOS-map? That would make it easier for someone to host their own OSM tile server and swap the URL into farmOS without any additional work.

2 Likes

It seems wise to make it configurable.

In my opinion, it wouldn’t be practical for most hosters of farmOS to host OSM tile servers and most of said users won’t incur anything that could be described as “heavy use”.

That said, it would probably be a good idea to check in with the OSM folks and share the farmOS use-case. i.e. Many low-traffic instances of an open-source (often self-hosted) application. I suspect that there isn’t an expectation that individual hosters of farmOS for personal use would run their own OSM tile servers.

1 Like

I agree! But maybe this is something that the farmOS/OpenTEAM/AgStack community could provide to our users

2 Likes