Re Google Calendar

I’ve used some of @SirSundays iframe code to embed a google calendar along with my calendar events module, so now log creation events can be sent to a calendar and easily viewed from within farmOS.

chrome_8MDgKDAmGp

3 Likes

This is great! Thanks @Farmer-Ed
@mstenta Can this module be added and activated on our Cloud instances?

1 Like

Hi @FarmTech, I’d love for this to be made available on Farmier, but as this module was put together in a few free evenings, it most likely will require some tidying up to meet the coding standards and some further testing.

It also has a dependency on another Google PHP API client module which would probably require consideration by @mstenta and co.

This module would also currently require you to setup Google developer account for API credentials (which is not too difficult).

2 Likes

Is there any update to the re-integration of a calendar function is v2?

This was the main way I would interface with the activity logs so a bit of a setback to lose this IMO.

Thanks so much for all the work that goes into this. I am pretty helpless as a programmer but appreciate the software.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Jason!

There hasn’t been much progress on this, but I’d love to see it move forward! I think farmOS providing an iCal feed is the most generic next step, but there are some data privacy questions with that as well.

That approach allows ANY calendar app to “pull” from farmOS.

The other option is to “push” data to specific calendar APIs. The downside of that is that it requires maintaining integrations with every different calendar app (eg: Google, Outlook, etc). And so it will most likely be a “contrib” module developer’s responsibility to build and maintain those, not “core” farmOS.

@Farmer-Ed has started a module specifically for Google Calendar integration, but it isn’t quite ready for general use.

In both cases I don’t think there is dedicated funding for this feature, so it’s just a volunteer effort. If anyone wants to step forward and volunteer development time for it, or if anyone wants to help organize funding to sponsor development, maybe we can push this forward!

1 Like

Are you on Farmier @Jason or self hosted?

I agree with @mstenta, an iCal integration would probably make most sense long term.
My Google Calendar integration will probably never really suite Farmier as it depends on another Google PHP API client module which would require too high of admin access in order to add and authenticate the client credentials unless of course I write my own API client at some stage.

This could be partially solved by completing the Farm Notifications module and eventually adding some specific calendar API modules or even just a notifications endpoint that could be used by external apps / scripts

1 Like

You never know, you could surprise yourself if you started dabbling.

I helped a Farmier user last year to setup some calendar integration using Node-Red

1 Like

FYI: farmOS Calendar module (v2)

2 Likes