Sensor question

Okay, I am shopping around for sensors. I am new to setting up a wireless network in the field literally. Can I get some help with this please?
“Hello Michael,

To connect the sensors you mentioned to an open source farm management software, such as FarmOS or OpenAgri, you have several options:

1. Direct Integration via API or Plugins:

• Many farm management software systems, like FarmOS, support direct integration with various sensors through their APIs. You can develop custom scripts or applications to communicate with the sensors and send data directly to the software.
  2. Using Industrial Routers or DTU (Data Transfer Units):

• If your sensors output data via RS485, you can connect them to industrial routers or DTUs. These devices can collect sensor data and transmit it to a cloud platform or directly to the farm management software using protocols like MQTT.
  3. Protocol Support:

• Ensure that the farm management software you choose supports the protocols your sensors use. MQTT is commonly supported for IoT devices and sensors, making it a good choice for data transmission.
  4. Custom Development:

• Depending on the specific requirements and capabilities of the farm management software, you may need to develop custom solutions or configurations to ensure seamless integration with your sensors.

For the specific sensors you mentioned:
-Niubol All-in-One Ultrasonic Weather Station.

• Niubol 8-in-1 Soil Integrated Sensor.

This sensor outputs data that can be collected via RS485. Integration involves connecting it to a device that can handle RS485 communication (like an industrial router or DTU) and then transmitting the data to your farm management software.

Before making a decision, review the documentation and capabilities of the farm management software you intend to use to confirm it aligns with the protocols and integration methods required by your sensors.”

1 Like

RS485 is a wired serial protocol. You will need additional hardware/software to send data wirelessly, how are you planning on powering the sensors?

farmOS has a basic API to accept sensor data, it doesn’t support RS485 or MQTT directly. In order to receive data from the sensors you will need something to process and forward the sensor data. Node-Red can support RS485 and MQTT and it’s is fairly straightforward to send the received sensor data to farmOS with it.

I use Raspberry Pi Zero’s with 4G modems in the field, powered by battery / solar as sensor gateways. Most of my sensors are custom made using RFM95 (LoRa) radios to communicate with the Raspberry Pi’s.

1 Like