V2 - good and bad

New to both v1 and v2. Generally I like v2 most. But all that air… I liked the log and asset listings in v1 alot better. I think it’s too much air in v2. This may be a good thing on mobile displays but I find it less informative on PC.

Maybe a possibility to choose tight/loose listings?

Also the filter and map on top of listings makes you scroll a lot.
Maybe minimize filter as default?

When listing logs or assets, there is an, always on top, add button
There shoult be an always on top save button when editing also. A lot of scrolling to save if you just want to enter name og log or asset.
(What grease-nipples are best for mousewheel bearings? :rofl: )

Perhaps a Ctrl+enter or something as a hotkey to save?

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @pat !

I think it’s too much air in v2. This may be a good thing on mobile displays but I find it less informative on PC.

Yea the new design (coming from the Gin theme we use) is more spacious than the old v1 theme (which used the Bootstrap theme).

One thing you can consider trying: use your browser’s zoom options to “zoom out” (maybe to 75%). Because this theme is “responsive”, it adjusts rather nicely to both big and small screens - and using the browser’s zoom setting is an easy way to “fake” a larger screen, thus shrinking the overall design elements so you will see more within a given viewport.

I actually used to do the opposite with farmOS v1 (zoom in) because it felt too tight to me (or maybe my eyes are going ha!) To each their own! And that’s what’s nice about a responsive theme that respects browser preferences. We can have the best of all worlds! :smiley:

Also the filter and map on top of listings makes you scroll a lot.
Maybe minimize filter as default?

Ah yea, in v1 we actually “collapsed” those filters by default. This was a customization we coded on top of the Bootstrap theme. We could certainly consider doing the same sort of thing in v2! I was going to wait to see what people thought before putting in the effort. Your opinion has been noted! :wink:

There shoult be an always on top save button when editing also. A lot of scrolling to save if you just want to enter name og log or asset.

Oh I like this idea a lot. @paul121 do you remember if the Gin theme does this already for the node edit form? Maybe another reason to consider replicating that…

Thanks again for the feedback @pat !

1 Like

Yes it does! There’s actually a great screenshot of this on the Gin project page:

There is the nifty “sidebar” too. This would be a great improvement.

1 Like

Did not think of that. Works fine.

Sidebar could be usefull.

1 Like

Logging activity etc:
I would prefere to have files and images sections minimized. I find all the possible things to add to a log a bit confusing. It would help minimizing things not used every time. Maybe keep it minimized as standard, and have a :pushpin: , to pin it in open state if needed.

Selecting Pending/Done, would also be easier if it was a togglebutton. Now there is unnecessary clicks, and mouse movement needed to change value.

There is also a lot of space available on the right side…
How about moving status to the same line as timestamp

Flags and Assigned to could also be shown side by side.
It would reduce scrolling a lot.

2 Likes

The dashboard map takes up alot of valuable space. Even on my desktop computer i find it too big. I tink it’s unnecessary wide.

Would much rather have it on the right side, and then move the upcoming task list on top.

Is this possible to have a user setting for things like that on hosted FarmOS
Left, right, wide ?

The map could also be used to draw attention to stuff happening at a location. For example a sensor that reports alerting values. Or an upcoming task based a location.
If so, a maximize button on the map could be useful.

2 Likes

Great feedback @pat !

Relevant to the dashboard ideas: https://www.drupal.org/project/farm/issues/3238637

a maximize button on the map could be useful.

The map has a fullscreen button in the top right - is this what you mean? Or do you mean the ability to expand/collapse the map? We actually had that ability in v1, and I would love to see it again in v2. It remembered the open/closed state, so you could leave it closed if you don’t need/use the map often.

Well, both actually. Didn’t remember the fullscreen button when I wrote. It is great for investigating the map.
Open/close state is also fine. This could be a nice feature for all dashboard elements.
But generally, a smaller map would be great start.

1 Like