Drawing polygon with known geometry

I have two asparagus raised beds that I would like to draw. I know that they are 3x6. Are there shortcuts I should know about for drawing these beds?

1 Like

you may refer this Mapping locations | farmOS

2 Likes

For just two beds, the documentation that @aathi179 linked is a good start. Specifically, the “snapping grid” functionality described at the bottom of that documentation will allow you to draw rectangular beds of a given size.

snapping_grid_demo

Warning: some shameless plugs ahead…

For larger grids of beds, my land drawing tool includes a “bed generator” that could be helpful to other folks.

sYRMXXXcdUABdaHUeKIcOsGE

Another strategy would be to use an external mapping program of some sort and export the geometry as WKT, a KML, or GeoJSON file for import into farmOS. farmOS has built-in support for WKT and KML imports and my land drawing tool has support for both KML and GeoJSON;

WKT can be imported into farmOS by pasting it into the geometry box of a given asset or log.

farmOS’ built-in support for KML docs: Importing data | farmOS

Land drawing tool import demo:

2022_05_13_demo_geojson_import

Finally, even more advanced mapping tasks could be tackled by connecting to farmOS with a full-fledged GIS program like QGIS using my WFS module.

This video shows an old version of the WFS module and farmOS, but the idea/functionality is basically the same:

3 Likes

Wow, awesome that you’ve gone so in depth! What sort of application are you using FarmOS for?

I think for me, the ability to draw a simple shape with set dimensions is all i need right now. But maybe I’ll want more advanced locations/mapping in the future! Thanks for all of your help.

2 Likes