Sensor Data - Nursery

Hello

i have a few interested parties in testing the FarmOS System (Mainly for the sensor data) - Has anyone had any luck with monitoring a large area (2.5 million cells) 65 tables in total, any option to monitor soil at that scale?

2 Likes

Hi @tdkmatt - can you describe a bit more about the data structure? What are the 65 tables?

farmOS comes with a “Listener” sensor module, which works well for general purpose named timeseries data. It stores data in an SQL database table.

It’s also possible to build more customized sensor modules, if you need something more specialized. This also would allow you to store data in a separate database altogether, if that were useful. But 2.5 million rows can easily fit in SQL. It might depend more on what you plan to do with the data after it’s in the DB (how will it be queried, aggregated, etc).

Happy to help think through what would work best for you!

Good Morning!

Thank you for the reply!

i will need to compile the information together and re evaluate the initial project after thinking about it.

Our second Project is looking at monitoring 3 seperate tree farms within a 50 Square kilometer range, We will be monitoring soil sensors (Moisture, PH, UV) with a few environmental sensor stations at each farm, At the moment a listener sensor will work, as long as we can attribute it to a Field/Bed (Specific Area within an area)

We would then like to poll the data with Grafana for better time series visualizations

do you have an example of a setup with numerous sensors and how they are displayed within farmOS, i couldn’t really find any examples

1 Like

Great! Looking forward to learning more!

At the moment a listener sensor will work, as long as we can attribute it to a Field/Bed (Specific Area within an area)

Yes that’s possible. What you will do first is map out the farm areas in farmOS (optionally organized hierarchically). Then, you will create a Sensor asset (of type “Listener”), and set it’s location to that area.

When you click on that area on the farmOS map, you will then see “Sensors: 1” - which will link you to the sensor asset. Viewing the sensor asset will show you the latest data, along with some simple graphs.